Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Missing disk space

903 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2009 12:52 PM by Carolyn Samit RSS
chazcron Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 13, 2009 1:40 PM
I have a 2.4 GHz core duo Intel iMac, 10.4.8, the HD shows about 100GB of stuff, 3 GB available, but the HD capacity is 230GB. I have forced it to show invisible files, there were no large invisible files, there are no iMovie clips in the trash, nothing at all in the trash. (I suspect iMovie has something to do with it, but all files of that nature were trashed and emptied) I booted it as a firewire device and repaired the disk and permissions, to no avail.

Any free/freeware solutions/ideas?
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,140 points)
    Apr 13, 2009 5:54 PM (in response to chazcron)
    HI,

Try WhatSize

Probably a good idea to check the drive for errors. Restart your Mac while holding down the C key, pressing the power button and inserting your install disk all at the same time. An Installer window will open, but do not proceed with any installations. Instead, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window click First Aid, and then click Verify. If Disk Utility reports errors, click Repair. When Disk Utility is finished, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Startup Disk. Select MacintoshHD 10.x.x and click Restart.

To check your hard disk’s S.M.A.R.T. status: Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.Select the disk in the list at the left, and look at the bottom of the window for a field named “S.M.A.R.T. Status.” *Make sure it says Verified. If not, it's probably an indication of drive failure.*

Freeing up space on the hard disk

Carolyn
    Intel iMac 2.66GHz PBG4SDrive iBookG4 iMacG3 Toshiba WinXP Airport Extreme, Mac OS X (10.5.6), WirelessMM Airport Wacom Intuos Tablet iLife 08 DW and TTPro
    Apr 14, 2009 7:49 AM (in response to chazcron)
    Thank you for the star.

I didn't suggest you repair permissions. I suggested that you check the hard disk for errors. Not the same thing.

As for following your instructions to the letter, we can't always suggest precisely what you are looking for, ie., freeware. But we do try to come close.

Carolyn
    Intel iMac 2.66GHz PBG4SDrive iBookG4 iMacG3 Toshiba WinXP Airport Extreme, Mac OS X (10.5.6), WirelessMM Airport Wacom Intuos Tablet iLife 08 DW and TTPro
    Apr 14, 2009 12:52 PM (in response to chazcron)
    Glad you found the culprit.

Carolyn

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.