Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing disk space

I have a 2.4 GHz core duo Intel iMac, 10.4.8, the HD shows about 100GB of stuff, 3 GB available, but the HD capacity is 230GB. I have forced it to show invisible files, there were no large invisible files, there are no iMovie clips in the trash, nothing at all in the trash. (I suspect iMovie has something to do with it, but all files of that nature were trashed and emptied) I booted it as a firewire device and repaired the disk and permissions, to no avail.

Any free/freeware solutions/ideas?

Posted on Apr 13, 2009 1:40 PM

7 replies

Apr 13, 2009 5:54 PM in response to chazcron

HI,

Try WhatSize

Probably a good idea to check the drive for errors. Restart your Mac while holding down the C key, pressing the power button and inserting your install disk all at the same time. An Installer window will open, but do not proceed with any installations. Instead, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Disk Utility. In the Disk Utility window click First Aid, and then click Verify. If Disk Utility reports errors, click Repair. When Disk Utility is finished, from the Menu Bar, select Utilities/Startup Disk. Select MacintoshHD 10.x.x and click Restart.

To check your hard disk’s S.M.A.R.T. status: Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.Select the disk in the list at the left, and look at the bottom of the window for a field named “S.M.A.R.T. Status.” *Make sure it says Verified. If not, it's probably an indication of drive failure.*

Freeing up space on the hard disk

Carolyn 🙂

Apr 14, 2009 6:56 AM in response to chazcron

Well, thanks for chiming in, Carolyn. I thought you might have noticed I had already repaired the permissions and the disk as a firewire device. I had tried Whatsize already, but it is not FREEWARE, (I mentioned I was looking for freeware.) and it's demo limitation did not work for me.

Being only $12, though, it did solve the problem.

Missing disk space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.