Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emoticons for Mail App

Hello All,
I'm new to mac, a vista-refugee. I was using MSN mail but am now using the Mac's Mail App. Everything is working fine. The only thing I find I'm missing is the ability to insert emoticons in my emails. Does anyone know how I can do this or a third-party app with this feature? Any help is greatly appreciated. Peace.

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 6:33 AM

2 replies

Apr 14, 2009 2:45 PM in response to pastormikeis

This may be rather clumsy, but perhaps a work-around. I’d hate to think PC Vista and especially MSN Mail could do something a Mac can’t. Oh, yeah, there are all those PC only games. Oh, well.

If you use iChat it has a bunch of emoticons that you can put in a message to a buddy without sending it and copy and paste it into Mail. If you don’t use iChat you can open it (Applications folder), create a new buddy, and then in the lower right corner of the buddy window is a smiley face with a pull-down triangle next to it to select any of 28 emoticons.

I also tried sending an e-mail to myself using the colon-dash-endparens characters, and like in these posts, it doesn’t show up in the Compose tab, but it does when it is sent (or on these pages, when you use the preview tab). The colon-dash-endparens looked better in the e-mail I received from myself than the one copied from iChat. I don’t know if you can use other character combinations to make other emoticons, but you can try.

At least I know you can make the wink with the semicolon-dash-endparens. 😉

Apr 17, 2009 6:16 AM in response to Bruce Etnyre

Hey Bruce,
Thanks for your help! I would hate to think that Vista and MSN can do something my new ($1300) Mac can't as well! lol Your idea(s) were helpful. I don't use IChat because (of course) MSN Messenger isn't compatible with it (darn that microsoft/apple rivalry!) But I can still use the emoticons from it. I can also use the ones from MSN Messenger. And, because I can simply drag a picture from a webpage,etc to the desktop, I can put unique ones there for use. But yes, they are a bit "blurry." Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

Mike

PS - A "Hotmail using" friend of mine was VERY envious of the stationery option I have in Mac Mail that MSN doesn't offer. I'm not quite sure it's a $1300 option, but it is nice. lol Peace.

Emoticons for Mail App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.