11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2009 10:01 PM by Lukeintosh
Lukeintosh Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Hey there.
The Moment i got my iPhone the cable was a bit broken. i didn't realize it at the time. but after unplugging it for the first time it came apart
( http://chandler.net.nz/iphonelead.jpg See Pic )

I when in to vodafone they said that the Whole phone has to be sent away in order for the Cable to be fixed as this is terms of the Apple Warranty. Is this correct?
Thanks Luke

MacBook Pro 15", iPhone 3G, iPhone 3G Dock, AirPort Express V1,, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • 1. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    mmsd Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)
    Not sure about their policy on that but I doubt they need the entire phone. Can you get to an apple store? An apple store would have better information on replacing parts such as the cables.
  • 2. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    Apple Store? Will a Apple Authorized Reseller that dose repairs be alright?
    thats all in NZ We don't have like Apple Retail Stores.
  • 3. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    Ingo2711 Level 6 Level 6 (17,095 points)
    Follow the Apple-link at the end of this page: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

Accessories
    One of my iPhone accessories isn't working. Can I order a replacement?
    Yes. Please complete the [service request form|http://www.apple.com/support/oss>. You can also visit the Apple retail store or contact Apple technical support.
  • 4. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    "3. Choose your service options
    We're sorry, there are no service options currently available in your location"

WHat next?
  • 5. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    Ingo2711 Level 6 Level 6 (17,095 points)
    What about a Apple Authorized Reseller? Call Apple and tell them about your problem getting the service options. You should be able to get a usb cable without sending in your phone.
  • 6. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    Macaby Level 3 Level 3 (910 points)
    I would certainly agree that Apple should replace this cable and I would continue to press for that. However, from the picture, it would appear that the cable MIGHT be repairable with a bit of super glue.

Also, the cable is available on eBay for less than $10 (US) or $19 from Apple.
  • 7. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    Totaly Agree with the super glue bit.
    But should this even happen to a Apple product?
  • 8. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    MatteoW Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Call Applecare and let them know what happened. They should be able to setup a mail-in repair for the cable. They also need to place a $19ish hold on your CC as a non-return fee. Just send your broken cord back and it shouldn't be an issue.
  • 9. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    Russa Level 4 Level 4 (1,315 points)
    This might be Vodaphone's policy, but its probably not Apple's. If you had the opportunity to take the phone to an Apple Store genius, they'd probably just give you a new cable. I realize this might not be an option for you.

If the small connector cover has popped-off (computer end of the cable), that's not really a big deal since its more cometic than anything else.

Alternatively you can buy a new usb cable for about US$19.
  • 10. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    Macaby Level 3 Level 3 (910 points)
    In looking at your picture again, I'm wondering what the piece is that is laying by itself. I understand about the piece that is loose on the cord, but the other piece is strange. My cord does not have the separate oval piece.
  • 11. Re: iPhone USB  Cable
    the Oval bit is the top of the plug.