Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Log out when laptop is closed

I am trying to figure out a way so that when i close my laptop and it stays shut for a extended period of time it will log out my account. This is because i have a lot of different people use my laptop some of which i don't want knowing my password or seeing other regular stuff on my account so if it is closed and they go to use it and i am logged out they can just log into the guest account rather than automatically being logged into mine or requiring me to type in the password or telling them the password if i have the "require password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver" setting tuned on. not quite sure if all that made sense but hopefully it did. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark N

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 9:09 PM

mark,

Let me start out by apologizing but here is my solution/question. Do you particularly care if 1 Your user account is logged in but locked and 2 are you really fond of the close to logout thing? Because I don't know of a after the lid is closed so long log out. Here are somethings to turn on/check so that it will work out for you.

First goto (System Preferences)/(Security)/ the (General) tab and make sure (Require Password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver) and (Disable Automatic Login) are checked.

Then goto (System Preferences)/(Accounts)/ the (Login Options) "You'll have to authenticate" and check (Enable fast user switching).

This will allow you to walk away from your computer/ close the lid and the other users to get to Guest. Now there is a (Log out after ## minutes of inactivity) in the (System Preferences)/(Security)/(General) tab however I don't know if you close the lid it will log you out.

Hope that helps,
Weston
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2009 9:09 PM in response to markopolo1389

mark,

Let me start out by apologizing but here is my solution/question. Do you particularly care if 1 Your user account is logged in but locked and 2 are you really fond of the close to logout thing? Because I don't know of a after the lid is closed so long log out. Here are somethings to turn on/check so that it will work out for you.

First goto (System Preferences)/(Security)/ the (General) tab and make sure (Require Password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver) and (Disable Automatic Login) are checked.

Then goto (System Preferences)/(Accounts)/ the (Login Options) "You'll have to authenticate" and check (Enable fast user switching).

This will allow you to walk away from your computer/ close the lid and the other users to get to Guest. Now there is a (Log out after ## minutes of inactivity) in the (System Preferences)/(Security)/(General) tab however I don't know if you close the lid it will log you out.

Hope that helps,
Weston

Apr 14, 2009 11:49 PM in response to markopolo1389

Did you give Weston's advice a try? It shouldn't matter if your account is logged out or not if you're just trying to keep the data safe from those who don't have the password. Even if you're logged in, all the "enable fast user switching" option does is allow more than one person to remain logged in at one time--it doesn't give that person access to your account unless they have the password.

~Lyssa

Apr 28, 2009 2:05 PM in response to Lyssa

I tried that but unless im just not letting it sit long enough it isnt exactly what im looking for. It doesn't work for what im looking for because if I walk away from the computer or close it and then someone else comes to use it that I want to use the guess account my account is still signed in. If there is away to log me out after a certain time of not being used this solution would work great but i havnt found anything like that

Log out when laptop is closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.