Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"sticky" response

Not sure if this is the correct discussion group. From time to time my computer response time (in Safari - not other applications) gets what I call "sticky". When I strike the keys of my keyboard there is a fraction of a second delay after each stroke. Even more annoying is the way my cursor suddenly stops working smoothly, especially when I try to highlight text. As I drag the cursor through the text, it only grabs PART of what I highlighted.

I have taken steps to speed things up.... defrag, empty cache, repair permissions, cold boot. Nothing helps. Experience tells me that in a few days it will suddenly clear up..... but it always comes back to haunt me. Anyone have a magical fix?

Mac mini 1.42, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Apr 17, 2009 7:46 PM

14 replies

Apr 18, 2009 3:23 AM in response to jap0nica

HI,

Sometimes resetting the PMU can help this. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2183

Mac OS X: How to force background maintenance tasks (logs and temporary items)

*"Even more annoying is the way my cursor suddenly stops working smoothly,"*

Try cleaning your mouse. http://www.5starsupport.com/tutorial/mouse.htm

Maintaining Mac OS X

Carolyn 🙂

Apr 18, 2009 9:51 AM in response to BDAqua

I use Speed Tools Utilities to defrag my Mac. My HD is 75 GB and I have 24 GB available - which is not a lot, but adequate. I also have a 465 GB external backup drive with 384 GB available.

This problem is driving me nuts. It's almost as though the computer is busy doing something else and can't keep up with my keystrokes .... but as I say, the response is only slow in my browser.

Apr 18, 2009 10:35 AM in response to jap0nica

At this point I think you should get Applejack...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19596

After installing, reboot holding down CMD+s, (+s), then when the DOS like prompt shows, type in...

applejack AUTO

Then let it do all 5 of it's things.

At least it'll eliminate some questions if it doesn't fix it.

The 5 things it does are...

Correct any Disk problems.
Repair Permissions.
Clear out Cache Files.
Repair/check several plist files.
Dump the VM files for a fresh start.

Apr 24, 2009 7:55 PM in response to BDAqua

Repairing permissions worked for a day or two, I am now back to sluggish response in Safari. So I downloaded Applejack, but I can't figure it out. First of all, I can't find the application. All there is on my desktop is the Installer Package and a Read-Me file. I know that sometimes you have to move the program from the Disk Image to the Applications folder, but I can't do this when I don't know where it is.

Sorry, I am not a Luddite but relatively new to Mac. Is Applejack going to be complicated to run?

Apr 24, 2009 8:34 PM in response to jap0nica

First of all, I can't find the application

Good, you dare not run it from the GUI while booted up regularly, it can only do it's magic in Single User mode.

First install the PKG.

After installing, Reboot holding down CMD+s, (+s), then when the DOS like prompt shows, type in...

applejack AUTO

Then let it do all 5 of it's things.

Is Applejack going to be complicated to run?

It only seems so, once we get you to do it once, you'll see it is almost too simple! 🙂

Apr 25, 2009 8:26 AM in response to BDAqua

I thought it was too good to be true. Applejack appeared to help, but this morning I have the same problem. I will try to describe it again as thoroughly as I can.

Safari pages load quickly, that is not the problem. The slow response occurs when I use my mouse to highlight text - or use the backspace or delete key to remove text. When I try to select, I can rarely "grab" all the text at once. Sometimes a few letters are selected, sometimes nothing and I have to try a second or third time. When I try to delete with the backspace key, one letter at a time disappears with a full second delay after each letter. There is nothing wrong with my wired mouse. It's quite new.

When I repaired permissions for the very first time, it resolved the problem instantly. Everything was lightning fast - for about 24 hours. Afterwards I did not download anything but I did upload up quite a lot of my CD's into iTunes. That is the only unusual thing I did but I can't see how this would have any effect. This "sticky" problem has been plaguing me intermittently for months. I can't find anything about it on the internet.

I have a 75 GB HD with about 22 GB available.

Apr 25, 2009 10:43 AM in response to jap0nica

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for action in Safe Mode...

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it is some 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Apr 26, 2009 9:11 AM in response to BDAqua

I thought you would be interested to know that I have at least determined (for sure) what the problem is! A while back you suggested using Activity Monitor to test what resources were being used. Safari is using 95 - 100% of my CPU usage! I have figured out that one of the sites I have open every day contains frames that have animated ads. These are responsible for draining my resources. I closed the site to see if it made a difference, and my usage immediately plummetted to 5%.

Apparently I have two options: install Pith Helmet - or switch my browser to Firefox which has Adblock Plus which not only stops ads, but removes frames. Which would you recommend (bearing in mind I only have 22 GB left on my 65 KG HD.

thanks in advance

"sticky" response

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.