Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 and extra buttons

I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, which works fine with OS X. In addition to the main two buttons on it and the scrollwheel, there are two buttons located next to my thumb (respectively named Button 4 and Button 5 in OS X). Now, when I use this mouse with a PC running Windows, it allows me to set these two buttons as to "forward" and "back" for internet browsing - how can this be done for Safari?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Aug 15, 2005 9:48 AM

2 replies

Apr 15, 2022 1:54 PM in response to Thomas O'Carroll

I'm a little lost, so I took some screen grabs to try to show you what I have.

First is the Mouse preferences pane,

Next I have the new key strokes, though I don't think this is where you wanted it,

The screen grab of my Dashboard pane shows you that OS X does indeed see the extra buttons, but I don't get to change them in the mouse preferences pane?

Catch where I'm going wrong?

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Aug 16, 2005 8:09 AM in response to Benjamin Chait

Go into system prefs and select the MS mouse pref panel.
click the "add" button to create a Safari specific button assignment.
Click on the "Buttons" button.
Now assign the key strokes for back and forward to the small and large thumb buttons. ie click "large thumb" then from 'select a command" select "key stroke". Now check the command box (apple key) and in then press "[". You have now set the large thumb button to do the equivalent of command "[" - which is the key command for the back button in Safari. Do the same for the small thumb but assign it to command and "]" key.

You may also notice it works by assigning command and left/right curser keys.

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 and extra buttons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.