Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari PDF viewer

I download a lot of pdfs. But I don't want to view them in the pdf viewer contained within Safari. Is there any way to turn off the safari pdf viewer so that when I click on a link to download the pdf, it will download it to the folder that I specified?

thanks, Anthony

Posted on Aug 16, 2005 8:45 AM

9 replies

Aug 16, 2005 4:46 PM in response to Anthony Romero

Anthony, since you are using Tiger (I think) if you want to save the PDF file that you view in Safari, go to File>Save As... and add the .pdf extension to the end of the file name and you can save it anywhere on your hard drive you choose. Later, if you want to view it with whatever PDF viewer you want, you can.

Or before you actually click on the PDF file link, use Control+option keys then click the link and then choose Save Linked File As... and add the .pdf file extension to the end of the file name and choose where you want to save it.

Aug 16, 2005 4:54 PM in response to Tom Graves

What I forgot to mention is that control-click does not work. These pdfs are from science journals that are liscenced to the institution I am at. When I control click it, it downloads something that has the extension .htm and when I click on this, it takes me directly to the web page to view the pdf in the viewer. I just don't like the hasel of opening the pdf in the viewer then saving the pdf to a folder on my computer. Before the viewer was installed in Safari, I used just click on the link and it would download it to wherever I wanted. I was just hoping there was some way to turn "off" the pdf viewer.

thanks, Anthony

Aug 17, 2005 10:31 PM in response to Anthony Romero

Is there any way to turn off the safari pdf viewer so that when I click on a link to download the pdf, it will download it to the folder that I specified?

You could disable the PDF viewer altogether by quitting Safari and entering the following line in Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)..

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES

Yang

Aug 26, 2005 11:21 AM in response to Anthony Romero

Are you using the AdobePDFViewer plug-in? If you are, I believe you can go to the Internet Plug-ins folder in the Library folder (at the hard drive level, not in your User folder) and remove/relocate the plug-in. Will that not stop the PDFs from opening within Safari with the Adobe Viewer?

Steve M.

Edit: If you are indeed using Adobe Viewer and wish to turn it off just open the Adobe Viewer and go to Preferences>Internet and there you will find a box to uncheck that says "display PDF in browser." Does that help?

Safari PDF viewer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.