Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: weird sounds during start-up and "wake-up"

Recently when I start-up or wake my computer it has been making what I can only describe as "angry sounds" for about 10-15 seconds. Everything seems to be working just fine, but the noise scares me. Any ideas?

Black MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 4GB RAM Installed

Posted on

Page content loaded

Apr 20, 2009 12:48 PM in response to SV7 In response to SV7

I thought of a few possible noises - could you possibly use these to try and describe the sound a bit better?

i.e. is it...

* a grinding noise of some kind (e.g. hard drive)
* fan exhaust noise (excessive 'blowing')
* Buzzing (I've noticed overcharging can cause a weird liquidy buzzing sound)

Any ideas?

Apr 20, 2009 12:48 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2009 1:06 PM in response to SV7 In response to SV7

Are you sure it isn't just the normal disc drive noise? (It tends to make a light grinding/buzzing when it first receives power, presumably to prepare for receiving discs via the slot).

EDIT: Although it shouldn't last >3 seconds, so scratch that

Message was edited by: DavidR1991

Apr 20, 2009 1:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 21, 2009 10:58 AM in response to SV7 In response to SV7

It's normal for the machine to make those noises when it's waking up. I haven't restarted in quite a while so I'm not certain if mine makes noise while booting, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't. Pushing eject doesn't bring a response either, unless I have a disc in the drive.

Do you have an Apple store nearby? You may want to bring the machine in and ask the folks their to take a look and make sure things are working properly.

~Lyssa

Apr 21, 2009 10:58 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: SV7

Question: weird sounds during start-up and "wake-up"