Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

laptop goes to sleep while i'm typing

hi. does anybody know why my laptop just goes to sleep while i am typing in copy in a word processing program? is there a keystroke combo that does that? thanks!

G5 ibook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 7:39 PM

11 replies

Apr 20, 2009 8:45 PM in response to Deborah Davis

Deborah Davis wrote:
hi. does anybody know why my laptop just goes to sleep while i am typing in copy in a word processing program? is there a keystroke combo that does that? thanks!

Other than a low battery, as mentioned, yes there is a key combo to sleep the computer.
It's ⌘-Opt-⏏
But one has to hold down the ⏏ button for a half-second, so that's probably not it.
There may be others, however. Check the key shortcuts and assignments.

May 3, 2009 1:44 PM in response to Deborah Davis

I was just having this same problem today - while I was typing in Word, the screen seemed to "breathe" as if in sleep mode, the light dimming in and out. I was either plugged in or still had ample battery. I, too, am wondering if I hit a key combo that I wasn't aware of. I did have a few other applications opened at the time. maybe a combo of apps made it happen?

May 4, 2009 11:40 AM in response to livingintheblack

hi. the key combo is ComOptEject (⌘-Opt-⏏) as nerowolfe mentioned. so i don't think it's likely that you'd hit it accidentally. i haven't heard about the combo of apps, but i was just running word. i haven't tested resetting the pmu yet, and apple said it's a glitch and asked me to bring it in. i'll keep you posted as to what happens. thanks for the info!

May 4, 2009 12:14 PM in response to Deborah Davis

I have been having exactly the same problem with my Macbook Pro (6 months old). I just move my mouse, wake it back up and get back to work. I am on power and usually 95% or more charged.

I am wondering if my "sleep" settings are too shallow, timewise, or if my hotcorners setting is part of the problem. Unfortunately, I have been too busy trying to complete projects to go on a "mystery tour" of my settings.

Respectfully,
Patricia

laptop goes to sleep while i'm typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.