Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Simplified Chinese Language Support Package???

I am trying to view a Chinese visa application. The application form opens in Safari as a pdf document. However, I then get an error message that the document won't display properly because I need a "Simplified Chinese Language Support Package". Where can I get this package?

MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Safari 3.2.1

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 2:18 AM

12 replies

Apr 21, 2009 7:07 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

The site you provided loaded correctly. I am thinking it has something to do with Safari and the pdf format. I have discovered also that this is a dynamic form - I should be able to fill the fields in and print the document. Here is the URL:

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84240.htm

At that page, click on the link for: Visa Application Form (Q1) (58k)

That opens the pdf, during which the error message pops up.

Apr 22, 2009 7:22 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom: the file loads without error in Preview from Firefox, but Preview doesn't allow me to edit the fields.

iBots: I did install Reader - I've got both 8 and 9 - I had forgotten that, so Safari probably is using the plug-in (duh).

I think I probably want Safari to open pdf files in Preview, though I can't edit the fields that way. I suppose I can use Reader manually for this type of file (though they say it's not supposed to be downloadable). As far as the error message, since Reader isn't included with Mac OS X, it's not an Apple problem.

So, how do I set Safari back to using Preview instead of the Reader plug-in? (If you don't mind spending time to explain as I haven't tried looking it up - I did look up the "Simplified Chinese Language Support Package" error, but didn't find any solutions for it.)

Thanks very much for your help!

Apr 22, 2009 8:59 AM in response to lisfolks

So, how do I set Safari back to using Preview instead of the Reader plug-in? (If you don't mind spending time to explain as I haven't tried looking it up

🙂 Sure, no probs.

There's 2 ways to do it.

1. Launch Adobe Reader and in it's preferences under the Internet section there should be an option to turn on/off handling of PDF files in web browsers.

or

2. Go to Hard drive > Library > Internet Plug-Ins and remove the AdobePDFViewer.plugin file.

In both cases, quit Safari and restart it to pick up the change.

Apr 24, 2009 5:21 AM in response to iBod

Safari was trying to use the Reader plugin. I uninstalled both versions of Adobe Reader. When I restarted and tried the form again, Safari prompted me that it couldn't find Reader to open the file. I deleted the plug-in as you suggested, iBod, restarted Safari, and the file opened without error - although I still couldn't edit the fields. That's frustrating!

I downloaded the file and pulled it up in PDFpen - and was pleasantly surprised to see that PDFpen recognized the Adobe fields and let me edit them! (I have just the basic version from SmileOnMyMac, so I didn't think it would do it, but it worked great.)

Thanks for your help, iBod, and yours, too, Tom!

Simplified Chinese Language Support Package???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.