Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play albums continuously

Hi

I turn my Nano on, go to Music - Albums, select the one I need and hit Play. I need it to play it till the last song, and then start playing the next album. Somehow this doesn't work, because it just stops playback after the last song of this album. I tried to turn "Repeat all", but it repeats only one album.

My question is - how do I play one album after another without reaching iPod from my pocket?

MacBook 13-inch Aluminum (Late 2008) 2 GHz 2 GB DDR3, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 12:00 PM

The way the iPod was designed is that when you hit play, the iPod will play whatever list you happen to be in and doesn't assume you want other lists played. So if you are in the main library you play everything. If you go to an artist listing and hit play, it will play all that artist's stuff. If you go into a specific album, it will play just that album. Again, whatever list you happen to be in (artist, genre, album, etc.).
So the question is, do you want it to go to another album by the same artist? Or just any album in your collection, but then play that album front to back (so to speak)?
Patrick
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2009 12:00 PM in response to felibb

The way the iPod was designed is that when you hit play, the iPod will play whatever list you happen to be in and doesn't assume you want other lists played. So if you are in the main library you play everything. If you go to an artist listing and hit play, it will play all that artist's stuff. If you go into a specific album, it will play just that album. Again, whatever list you happen to be in (artist, genre, album, etc.).
So the question is, do you want it to go to another album by the same artist? Or just any album in your collection, but then play that album front to back (so to speak)?
Patrick

Apr 21, 2009 12:19 PM in response to felibb

Ya, if you put your iPod setting so that it shuffles by album, it will randomly pick albums to play but then play them all the way through normally, then randomly go to another album.
In album list, I think you want to pick the first choice, which is ALL to play all the albums in your collection rather than going to a specific album.
I admit that I rarely play full albums and never have tried to play one album after another, so I am guessing a bit here. But if you don't care which album you hear next, you might try changing the shuffle setting to "Album".
Patrick

Apr 21, 2009 12:37 PM in response to PT

I'm having this same issue and this thread is helping.

So i followed your instructions and I set "Shuffle" to "albums". But the rest doesn't make sense. Now what do I do?

If I play an album, it still stops at the last song and doesn't play another album. Repeat doesn't seem to be the answer. Shaking the iPod to put it into shuffle mode doesn't seem to be it either.

What am I missing?

Apr 21, 2009 12:46 PM in response to PT

Just checked, it works the way I need in "All Songs" only. It is lame because I need to do more scrolling (scrolling all songs not album items) to find the album I want to start playback with.

Thanks for your reply, Patrick. I will not mark this question solved though as I expect more suggestions from people here.

Message was edited by: felibb

Apr 21, 2009 12:47 PM in response to Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski wrote:
If I play an album, it still stops at the last song and doesn't play another album.

I think you are still going into an album then playing it. Since you are in the "list" for only that album, only that list plays.
Instead with shuffle set to "album" now go to the main menu of the iPod and pick the "Shuffle Songs" choice which should randomly pick an album to play. If you then skip forward through the tracks, it should go through each song of that album then to the next randomly picked album.
Patrick

Apr 21, 2009 12:50 PM in response to felibb

felibb wrote:
Just checked, it works the way I need in "All Songs" only. It is lame because I need to do more scrolling (scrolling all songs not album items) to find the album I want to start playback with.

Ya, sometimes the way the iPod works isn't super friendly when people have specific ways they want to play their stuff. I'm lucky in that I am completely happy to just play music totally randomly from my iPod so that is easy to do. And if I want to listen to a specific album, I usually switch back to total randomness after I finish that album. I don't do to much else other than playlists (which I of course listen to completely randomized 🙂 ).
Hopefully some other "album-centric" types will come along and offer their advice.
Patrick

Apr 21, 2009 12:51 PM in response to PT

Thank you very much for the reply, but it does not work the way you describe. Shuffle is for sure set to "albums". I can see it right here. But when I choose "shuffle songs" from the main menu, it picks a random song in the middle of a random album. And then if I hit next, it picks another completely random song. It does not go to the next song in the album.

Apr 21, 2009 12:55 PM in response to Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski wrote:
Thank you very much for the reply, but it does not work the way you describe. Shuffle is for sure set to "albums". I can see it right here. But when I choose "shuffle songs" from the main menu, it picks a random song in the middle of a random album. And then if I hit next, it picks another completely random song. It does not go to the next song in the album.

Odd. I just tried it, although I am holding my 5th Generation iPod but it (in theory) is supposed to work the same way. On my 5th gen is worked as I described. All the songs from the first album the iPod picked I was able to skip through then on to the next album and through only songs on that album until they all were shown, etc.
I am not sure why it isn't working for you. If I think of anything, I will post back.
Patrick

Play albums continuously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.