Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Active Directory bound Macs give users the 'shake-off'

Hi there,

I have my server running as an OD master bound to AD. Most of my clients are working fine, but I recently built a new image and with the clients using that image, AD users are unable to log in after about 12-24 hours (hard to say), if I log in locally and rebind to AD then it all works again.

I use dscl in the terminal to determine whether the AD directory information can be reached, usually I'm able to navigate to:

/Active Directory/All Domains/Users >

and list all the AD users. When this problem has occurred it has been known for a:

DS Error: -14987 (eUndefinedError)

to pop up instead of the list of users, but this isn't necessarily the case (sometimes even though I can't log in as an AD user I can read the list from the command line).

I have tried, deleting the machines from OD, rebinding to both AD and OD and completely deleting the Directory Service preference folder but the problem still remains.

The failure to log in 'might' coincide with a failure to properly log out (when logged in as an AD user).

All the clients are running 10.5.6 and so is the server.

I'd be grateful if anyone had any idea where I should start looking to resolve this issue,

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 11:56 PM

12 replies

Apr 22, 2009 3:37 AM in response to Fridgemagnet

Hi

Eliminate the usual culprits:

Kerberos timestamps its tickets so time synchronization is important between Server & Clients. All nodes need to be using the same NTP Server. In your environment I'm guessing this would be the DC?

SMB Digital Packet signing (Server & Client Side) is not supported so make sure in the Local, Domain & Group Security Policies those two settings are Disabled. Interestingly I have noticed since 10.5.4 this seems less of an issue. However it's something else to eliminate - just in case.

Home Folder Permissions. Make sure users have full access.

On the login window below where it says Mac OS X should be some gray wording. You can click on this and cycle through basic information. One of them should say Network Accounts available or unavailable. When you get the problem what does it say?

Finally DNS. Make sure the client can resolve the serve hosting their home folder on both pointers. It's also a good idea to check if the reverse entry for that client reflects the correct hostname. I have seen issues where the DNS Reverse Zone displays an incorrect hostname to the assigned IP address.

Perhaps your issue relates to the built image? Have you seen this article?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3192
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1245

Tony

Apr 22, 2009 5:21 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Thanks for your reply.

NTP server is the same across the network on all clients including the newly imaged machines and yes you're correct that it's the Windows Domain Controller.

SMB packet signing I'm told is turned off at the windows end.

Home folder permissions are fine.

The green light on the login window that tells you that the servers are available is green, even when the fault occurs.

The OD server's FQDN works with both forward and reverse lookups.

DNS IS a problem on one machine (I rely on the windows DNS and a few machines aren't getting DNS entries for some reason) With one of the machines with the new image I can resolve forward and reverse lookups, the other I can't at present, both are having the same problem though

Message was edited by: Fridgemagnet

Apr 22, 2009 5:29 AM in response to Fridgemagnet

Perhaps it's linked in some way to a problem I've been having with SMB. The bulk of my clients are all running 10.5.6 but I downgraded the smbfs.kext and smb.fs files on each client (to a version from 10.5.4) because it stopped a huge problem with kernel panics and endless hanging at logout which a number of users have had (there's a thread somewhere).

On the new image I haven't done this, so the version that is supposed to come with 10.5.6 is installed.

On testing the new image didn't seem to have any problems logging out (with AD users) but with real world users it's had a couple of issues (though not a full kernel panic).

Apr 22, 2009 5:44 AM in response to Fridgemagnet

Hi

+I downgraded the smbfs.kext and smb.fs+

That could be it? For 10.5.6. the version should be 1.4.6.

+it stopped a huge problem with kernel panics and endless hanging at logout+

AFAIK and in my experience, kernel panics on logout was caused by MS Office installing fonts in the /Users/Home/Library/Fonts folder. Deleting these or making sure they're installed in /Libary/Fonts cured in the 'problem' in all the cases that I saw it reported. I don't even think it was all the fonts. As I recall Arial and Times New Roman were the main culprits?

There are a number of threads regarding the logout kernel panics and from what I can see removing the Fonts stopped the problem.

Although important DNS Resolution for the Mac Server is not really what I meant. I meant for the clients. Can they resolve named servers locally? Can they resolve themselves locally?

Tony

Apr 22, 2009 6:00 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

I think there are two simultaneous issues regarding crashing at logout. One is more recent, as you say, to do with fonts (think I may have this as well but less frequently). The other is an earlier issue myself and some users were having which seemed to be to do with SMB:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=8341273#8341273

Both very frustrating.

All my machines have 1.4.6 for the smbfs.kext
But for the smbfs.fs file, the new image has 1.4.4 the bulk of existing clients 1.4.2

Apr 29, 2009 8:06 AM in response to Fridgemagnet

I have this same issue on every Mac running 10.5.5 and 10.5.6. (If the new hardware would run 10.4 I would not be upgrading).

My issue is far more inconsistent than 12 - 24 hours. I had one machine do this yesterday and then again today. Other machines will go months before they fail.

I see this issue on clean installs of the OS as well as a cloned image I have made. I have removed all the computer specific files prior to building the image. The local kdc is reset prior to any server authenticated user login. The cloned image was created on the same HW as the clients are receiving (though this shouldn't matter).

All of my users have an AD authenticated account. No user accounts or home directories are on the OD server. The OD server is used for a file share and I am beginning to set it up for MCX control.

Once a machine stops allowing authentication of network users I can dscl to the AD domain and still read the user. This proves to me that the AD bind is still functioning. It just isn't allowing authentication.

logging in as a local admin, unbind and bind corrects the issue, temporarily.

Any next steps in determining where this failure is occurring and how to resolve would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't force this to fail and I don't have a dev box to work on at this moment.

Apr 29, 2009 8:09 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

I have always heard and bound my machines in this order. However, recently I read that if you are using an OD Server for client permissions that it should be the first bound machine followed by the authentication server. Have you had any experience with this? In my case it would cause me to bind to OD then AD. On my test boxes I haven't seen this cause any problems.

Jun 16, 2009 3:13 PM in response to Boo_Boo

Did you find any explanation for this?

I've just now been hit with this exact same scenario. Login worked yesterday (after full clean rebuild), worked this morning, then at some time today it failed. Going to dscl and looking in /Active Directory/All Domains/Users and doing an 'ls' gives me the undefined error you originally posted.

Unbinding/rebinding kicked things back in shape.

My specs: 10.5.7 client. Also in AD/OD triangle, AD is listed first in search policy.

I've tried rebuilding the LKDC, and make sure to do dscacheconfig -flushcache, but the problem returned.

Nothing outstanding in system.log.

Active Directory bound Macs give users the 'shake-off'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.