12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2009 8:35 PM by Lukeintosh
Lukeintosh Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Hi there.
I have got a new AirPort Express N. I want to extened my AirPort Express V1 How can i do this with my New N Express.
Thanks Luke

MacBook Pro 15", iPhone 3G, iPhone 3G Dock, AirPort Express V1,, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • John Galt Level 8 Level 8 (40,975 points)
    Lukeintosh wrote:
    ... I want to extened my AirPort Express V1

An "extended network" is a term of art Apple uses to describe how to create a bigger 802.11n network using their Airport equipment. If your other Express is a non -"n" variety, it can't be used in an "extended network". Hence the "network you selected cannot be extended" admonition.

You can, however, create a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) to create a bigger 802.11b/g network. If you like logical analogies, an "extended network" is to 802.11n as a WDS is to 802.11g.

Read Designing AirPort Networks for detailed instructions.

Or, just ask us
  • Lukeintosh Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    i changed a setting in the AirPort Utility(i think it was the type of connection) and now i can not see my AirPort (N) in AirPort Utility even after a hard Reset and a Factory Default. What can i do?
    After a "hard reset" or "factory defaults reset" your Express will create an unencrypted wireless network with the name "Apple Network xxxxxx" or something similar. Look for it in your available wireless networks, connect to it, and run Airport Utility.

If you don't see it appear, try connecting the Express directly to your computer with an Ethernet cable and run Airport Utility.

If you still don't see it, try another "hard reset". I have read about some cases in which multiple reset attempts were required.
    Yes i have fixed that now.
    How can i make a network so i can have the main station (V1 Express) and remote station (V2) with out the remote requiring ethernet?
    Regards Luke
    If you want to create a WDS, put both your Expresses, powered up, in the same room with you and your favorite computer. Launch Airport Utility and confirm it can see both.

_For the Main station:_

Airport > Wireless > Wireless mode > Participate in a WDS network. The radio mode and channel will probably already get filled in for you, but if they don't, select Radio Mode > 802.11n (b/g compatible) and pick a channel that works for you. Make sure the wireless network name and security are the ones you want.

Click the WDS tab. Select WDS mode > WDS Main. Click to allow wireless clients.

Click the + button. Enter the MAC address of your remote base station. It's printed on the Express and resembles a bunch of numbers that look like 00:24:36:48:ab:cd (for instance). Be sure to type it in exactly.

Click Update.

_For the Remote station:_

Airport > Wireless > Wireless mode > Participate in a WDS network. Again, the radio mode and channel will probably already get filled in for you, but if they don't, select Radio Mode > 802.11n (b/g compatible) and pick the *exact same channel* as the main base station. The network name and security must also be *exactly the same as the main base station.*

Click the WDS tab. Select WDS mode > WDS Remote. Click to allow wireless clients.

Click the + button. Enter the MAC address of main base station. Again, *be sure to type it in exactly*.

Click Update.

If everything went well, you will still be able to see both Expresses in Airport Utility. Unplug them and put them back in their original locations.

I think these instructions are complete. If I missed something you'll find the answer in the Designing Airport Networks I linked above.

If something didn't go well, you'll have to "hard reset" the recalcitrant Express and figure out what went wrong - this is the reason for putting them in the same room with you. It saves a lot of walking back and forth.
    Ok i done that.
    I can connected to the internet with my AirPort V2.
    but..
    1. Should 2 Wireless connections appear in the AirPort Menu in the Finder Bar.
    2. The AirPort V2 Flashes Green and Amber.
    Thanks
    1. Should 2 Wireless connections appear in the AirPort Menu in the Finder Bar.

hehe... no. You must have created two wireless networks. There should be only one. Return to Airport Utility and make sure the two Expresses are using the *exact same wireless network name, channel, and security.*

2. The AirPort V2 Flashes Green and Amber.

That's what happens when a WDS base station can't find its mate.

You're experiencing all the normal frustrations of setting up a WDS. Keep on trying.

You see the benefits of putting them in the same room now, don't you?
    i think iv got it now
    and one last thing.
    I read in my new AirPort Express Book that you can let people on your network with out a password via mac address and the Light on the AirPort Express Will Turn blue.
    How do i do this?
    Thanks
    I'd be interested to read that - could you perhaps post that excerpt from your Express book?

I have never heard of a blue LED on any Apple Airport products. Red, yellow, amber, orange, green, white... yes, but no blue yet. Perhaps it's a kiwi thing. It would be cool to see it. I like blue LEDs.

The only thing that sounds remotely like what you're describing is the ability to create a "guest" network with the new Airport Extreme. This is not available on the Express.
    How do you get Red and White? lol
    Yes, I Also like Blue LEDs hehe...
    Page 12 of the AirPort Express Setup guide

Light
    Solid Blue
    Status/Description
    The base station is ready to allow a wireless client access to the network. See "Allowing Wireless Clients to Your Network" on page 26.

its in this PDF here http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/AirPort_Express_SetupGuide.pdf
    Thanks! I suppose I ought to read that manual some day...
    I want to see the light Blue. lol