Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting: 'Unable to create /Users/Username/Pictures' after camera change

I have used iPhoto through a number of versions. I generate Webpages by exporting from Albums. Worked fine.

We bought a new camera: Canon Powershot SD880 IS.
Importing and displaying from this camera works fine.
I noticed, however, that I no longer had to rotate the pictures that were taken such that the short side (dimension) was up - they were automatically presented with 'up' up.

Such pictures will not export. I get the error message 'Unable to create /Users/Username/Pictures'.
I have tried rotating them (- although, I must say, that was out of desperation, not logic), no go.
Broad-side pictures export fine.

This is a major bummer - is there any workaround for this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 25, 2009 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2009 4:19 AM

Berthe

Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and right click on it. From the resulting menu select 'Show File (or 'Show Original File' if that's available). A Finder Window should open with the file selected. Does it?

Regards

TD
9 replies

Apr 25, 2009 8:07 AM in response to Berthe Willumsen

I noticed, however, that I no longer had to rotate the pictures that were taken such that the short side (dimension) was up - they were automatically presented with 'up' up.

This is because your camera has auto rotate turned on - you can turn that off on the camera and iPhoto will display your photos the way they were taken

When iPhoto does the auto rotation it creates a modified version - can you export other photos that have been modified? Is the original "unrotated" photo still in your pictures folder by any chance?

LN

Apr 26, 2009 2:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

Nope.- Good hunch, Terrence:

(I'm always confused about right-clicking, sorry. Apple-clicking just toggles the selection on and off. alt-clicking does nothing)
ctrl-clicking shows Show File, and a dimmed show original file.

The finder-window which opens is empty. Its path goes through 'modified' (I have rotated it and rotated it back - could that screw things up?): EventName/2009/Modified/iPhotoLibrary/Pictures/ - sorry, should have written them in reverse order...

The unproblematic pics are found in 'Originals', but the EventName folder has the name EventName_2 which I did not give it....

An earlier event's upright picture is found correctly in finder. Show file is in 'Modified', Show Original file (not dimmed) finds file in 'Originals'. This picture exports no problem.

Hm. So the library is hashed up? Would that give that particular error message?
And: suggestions for fixing it? The Pictures are gone from the camera, but were also exported to husbands PC.

bmw

Apr 26, 2009 3:51 AM in response to LarryHN

Larry, I think you are onto the same issue as Terence:

- Actually, auto rotate is fine as long as it does not destroy any of iPhoto's capabilities.

The problem appears to be limited to upright pictures in that specific Event - or that instance of Importing from the Camera.

I merged the 'problem-event' to an event2 (this has no 'upright' pictures) imported at the same time.
I checked 'Modified' and 'Original' folders - only upright pics in the 'Modified'; folders correctly named; however, only 'wide' pics present in 'Originals'-not the others. For an older event, upright pics are present both places.

I transferred an upright and wide pic to a test album from both the problematic set and from the OK set and tried to export: The upright from the problematic set did not export (the other 3 did) and I got the same error message.

So my manipulation of merging events did not reset anything.

From the test album, 'Show original file' is not dimmed for the upright pic from the OK set, but is from the problematic pic (I sure hope you can follow my notation...).

When I open a 'modified' pic in Preview, it shows as 'upright'.

So these particular pictures' original are gone. - No, actually, they are not. They are in the weird EventName_2 folder I mentioned to Terrence. I quit Photoshop, I move pics to folder, restart photoshop - Hm. 'Show original file' still dimmed, 'Show file' finds file in 'Originals'.

But it will now Export OK.
Problem solved.

I must say, the error message 'Unable to create /Users/Username/Pictures' is a long way from 'I cant find the picture, lady...'. And it rotates them for Export. Why does it need the original?

And I'm still confused about the 'dimmness' of 'Show original file'.

Thanks for the help, guys

bmw

Message was edited by: Berthe Willumsen

Apr 28, 2009 3:57 PM in response to Berthe Willumsen

I keep getting the same error message.

I have Adobe Lightroom as well, but the interface is a little clunky. I've been trying to use iPhoto for all my storage needs but I've searched all the posts I can (and there are A LOT of people with this problem) and tech support and online support can't seem to fix it.

I've always considered iPhoto to be a great, standard program, but at this point, I can't get my prints out of the library without sending them to Apple to be printed. I can't export, I can't save a disc, and I can't even upload to my MobileMe account (I thought that 'at least' if I can trick iPhoto into saving hi-res jpgs of my RAW files for use on MobileMe, that I could wait for the upload to finish and at least download a set of hi-quality jpgs (with my changes) to keep and then just delete the RAW files.

Nope.

I've got 300 RAW files with changes made sitting in my iPhoto library and I can't use them for anything. This is a SERIOUS bug in the program and NOBODY that I've talked to at Apple seems to A). know about the issue, and B). Care to attempt to fix it.

Apr 28, 2009 10:40 PM in response to Ravioliguy

You have a damaged database file. The fixes available are as follows:

Try these in order - from best option on down...

1. Do you have an up-to-date back up? If so, try copy the library6.iphoto file from the back up to the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) allowing it to overwrite the damaged file.

2. Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

3. If neither of these work then you'll need to create and populate a new library.

To create and populate a new *iPhoto 08* library:

Note this will give you a working library with the same Events and pictures as before, however, you will lose your albums, keywords, modified versions, books, calendars etc.

In the iPhoto Preferences -> Events Uncheck the box at 'Imported Items from the Finder'

Move the iPhoto Library to the desktop

Launch iPhoto. It will ask if you wish to create a new Library. Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) on your desktop and find the Originals folder. From the Originals folder drag the individual Event Folders to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

When you're sure all is well you can delete the iPhoto Library on your desktop.

In the future, in addition to your usual back up routine, you might like to make a copy of the library6.iPhoto file whenever you have made changes to the library as protection against database corruption.

And of course, you can always restore from your back up.

Regards

TD

Exporting: 'Unable to create /Users/Username/Pictures' after camera change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.