Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme & DynDns

Hello, somebody knows if it is possible to configurate airport extreme so that it works with dyndns?

I have tried to put host dyndns in the square of connection to Internet, domain name, but profit not to cause that it works.

if it is not possible to use dyndns so that it serves that square as domain name?

MBP, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 26, 2009 5:15 PM

8 replies

May 7, 2009 12:45 PM in response to justaround

You can use DynDNS with an airport extreme. However I have not been able to get the dynamtic hostname to work directly on the airport. DynDNS has a client application that you can install on the computer. And yes you will have to set up port forwarding on the router.

If anybody has figured out how to set up DynDNS on an Airport Extreme I would love to hear how you did it.

May 8, 2009 6:40 AM in response to Giusepppe

I actually got mine to work though i'm not sure if it works for your setup and it probably comes down a lot to what program you are trying to use.

I went to DynDNS and created an account and chose a web address to use. I went to whatismyip.com to find out what my external IP (the airport extreme's IP) was and put that into the DynDNS account.

Downloaded/installed the DynDNS Updater which runs on whatever computer you have the program running on.

Then went into the Airport Utility (using a Mac)>manual setup>advanced>port mapping

the next step seems to be directly related to whatever program you need. but i put the port I want open into the Public TCP and UDP (not sure if you need both but just to be safe).

The private IP is the IP of the machine you are running your program on- i had put the extreme's ip in which isn't right.

i was setting it up for the Daylite program, so I can't help any further but hope that helps someone

May 27, 2009 10:11 AM in response to EightHolding

Can't we ask Apple to put DynDns support in? A few months ago Apple put mobile me support in but you have to pay for mobile me to work correctly and you can only use an Apple address. About two years ago I purchased the Airport because I was fed up with quality of other brands always breaking not as reliable as the Extreme okay the extreme was three times more money then most of the other brands, but for VoIP using Vonage the voice is so fantastic compared to when I was using other routers. The other routers out there such as the WRT series from Linksys has dyndns support built in with hostnames. Now I've had experience with other Linksys products out there like the wireless cameras they had dns support but only for paid subscription. So I'm hoping that if more of us out there explain to Apple that we would like to have Dyndns put in, that Apple would do so to be more competitive and flexible with their products. Apple is great Company, and make the best products for IT. They do listen to the public all the time, but they just need more of us to get them to add something like the Dyndns support.

May 30, 2009 9:16 AM in response to Duane

Thanx for the link, I gave Apple a request on putting Dyndns support into the Extreme base stations. Wouldn't it be great for all of them, Time Capsule, Base Station, Air Tunes imagine what could be done using Dyndns for those applications...

Now others out there should use the link too, for requesting the dynamic support to Apple, if they get enough feedback they will listen. Hey after all aren't all of us is what keeps Apple running, us the users.

Airport extreme & DynDns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.