Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot see Belkin 802.11n router

I am trying to setup a new network on a new Belkin N1 Vision router/modem

The router connects to the Internet and I can get access over the Ethernet connection, however I cannot get my Mac to connect to the Network.

It doesn't seem to even see the Network. Any suggestions on what to try?

iMac G5 20", Macbook Core 2 Duo, iPhone 3G 16gig, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 1:22 PM

Open up *Network Utility* in Applications>Utilities. Does it say your Airport card supports the N option?

~Lyssa
14 replies

Apr 27, 2009 1:39 PM in response to DanKell

I'm using the same router through wireless on my a/b/g/n card within my MacBook Pro. The settings I use are as such:
WPA/WPA2 (for compatibility with other computers and Airport Express)
Automatic Channel (uses 1)
192.168...IP address with DHCP.
QoE is On.

However, from initial use, the computer "saw" the router on wireless with no serious issues. I would concur that maybe trying to perform first setup through wired would be a wise idea.

Realize, it's unlikely you'll ever receive more than approximately 130mbps through that router, since it is a single band (20 + 40, but not 5.2ghz). The speed is quite good, regardless.

Apr 27, 2009 4:05 PM in response to DanKell

DanKell wrote:
I am trying to setup a new network on a new Belkin N1 Vision router/modem

The router connects to the Internet and I can get access over the Ethernet connection, however I cannot get my Mac to connect to the Network.

It doesn't seem to even see the Network. Any suggestions on what to try?

First step is to update the router firmware or at least be sure it is the latest version.

May 5, 2009 12:41 PM in response to DanKell

Right, new information.

Have deleted all keychain entries pertaining to Wifi, and all Wifi networks from System Preferences.
iStumbler can see the network with only one other network on Channel 1, 4 on channel 6 and occasional networks on 11 and 13. Strength is 95 to 60% all around the house, however when the wifi is not working, the network is listed under the main list, but not under the Airport > Visible Networks list.

I can sometimes connect, but often have to do it manually and will eventually be dropped. Ethernet works and so does the web.

Here are the WiFi settings:

Wireless Channel: 1
Extension Channel: 5
SSID: Pelham123
Wireless Mode: 11b gn (only option other than off)
Broadcast SSID: On
Protected Mode: Off
Bandwodth: 20 + 40 Mhz
QoS: Off
Security Mode: WPA/WPA2 Personal
Authenication: WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK
Encryption: TKIP + AES
Password: 10 digit mixed

Guest Settings: Disabled

Help?

May 5, 2009 4:25 PM in response to DanKell

Besides your iPhone, do you have any other computers in the residence with which to test the router? Perhaps a PC which you know can handle N wireless? Or even another Mac?
I've got my Extension channel set to "2"; not even an option for 5. With the number of networks in your range, I'd say to enable Protected Mode, at least for testing.
Also, usually Quality of Service (QoS) is best to leave active.
If they determine it faulty, Belkin will replace the router under the warranty.

May 6, 2009 2:12 AM in response to umparrothead

I've tried both the iPhone and my Macbook.

The macbook can "see" the network if I run iStumbler, but doesn't list it in the available networks

The iPhone sees the network in it's list of networks under Settings, but has "Connection Failed" errors if I select it - same if I tell it to forget it and reconnect.

Have tried turning QoS on and Protected mode on and no dice...

Jul 8, 2009 10:41 PM in response to DanKell

Hello All! I too am having the same issue! Brand new Belkin Router. Tried every setting from the above and it still does not like my MacBook! It works AMAZING on every other computer and laptop in the house! We even have an older MacBook Pro and it runs through it just fine but it is running on Tiger and not Leopard. Mine is a new MacBook Aluminum. It can find the router but it loads pages really slow! I am at a loss at what to do! It is seriously like it just doesn't like my computer. A netbook even picks it up and loads web pages FAST!!!

Jul 22, 2009 9:42 PM in response to Browse007X

As this question is marked as "Answered", I'd suggest you begin a new post on your issue. That way, you can write out specifically what is the problem affecting your hardware.
Did you try using that computer on Ethernet to the router? Did it work then? Which model of Belkin router are you using? Have you contacted the company for support?

Again, this really would be best served by beginning a new post. Few people will look at an issue marked as Answered.

Cannot see Belkin 802.11n router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.