Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ctrl+shift equivalent on Mac

I am a newbie Mac owner (5 days!) and loving every minute. But still trying to find my way around in the OSX environment. Thus, my question:

In Windows, when I want to select several non-consecutive items in a list, I hold the ctrl key and click the items I want. If I want a range of consecutive items, I hold the ctrl AND shift key and click on the first and the last item and windows highlights everything in between.

On the Mac, I hold the command key (clover thing) and click to select non-consecutive items, but is there anything equivalent to the Ctrl-shift (to select a lot of consecutive things with individually clicking each one)?

Thanks.

15.4 MacBook Pro 2009, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2.4 Mhz, 4GB, 320 HDD 7200

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 8:44 AM

7 replies

May 18, 2009 6:41 AM in response to tsoup2u

Hi All

I don't think this question is fully answered or correctly explained. I have been hunting for an answer for this problem for a while now and i have recently made the full switch to mac (have used before) and would really like to find out how to do this.

In windows you can hold control while clicking to select multiple files consecutive or not. Then if you add the shift key holding it with control also you can select a consecutive range of files whilst keeping the previous non consecutive files highlighted.

When you try to do this in finder on OS X it just highlights everything from the first file to the last and will include anything that wasn't selected before hand in between.

I made a video screen capture to explain what i mean cause its either hard to explain or not available at all on Mac or no one can answer. I have read numerous forums all saying just use shift or whatever but its not quite what is required.

Interestingly the selection technique i want works in mozilla thunderbird under mac os x. holding command to select non consecutive files then adding shift with command still down to highlight a range whilst keeping the original non consecutive files highlighted.

Anyone know how i do this everywhere else in mac eg finder

here is link to screen capture video showing what happens in windows and showing it not working in OS X:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npeXtuvZ4iw

Sorry bout the long post

Thanks

Wolfsta

Apr 28, 2009 9:39 AM in response to tsoup2u

If I want a range of consecutive items, I hold the ctrl AND shift key and click on the first and the last item and windows highlights everything in between.

No need to hold Ctrl.
With Windows, just click first then *Shift click* last for consecutive items.

On Mac, *Command click* to select non-consecutive items.
For consecutive items, select the first then *Shift click* the last.

ctrl+shift equivalent on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.