Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't want .txt extension added when downloading files

I'm going to try this question again. I often download text files from Safari by option-clicking on them. The files I download have the .csv extension but when I download them Safari adds a .txt extensions so that I have for example, filename.csv.txt. It used to be when I downloaded files that it just kept the exact name of the file, without adding the .txt. How do I change this behavior?

There was a post before that said you could do "get info" and change the default app but that didn't work. And the answer was that this extension was just cosmetic. It would be fine if it was just a cosmetic thing on my computer but I can't send these files to other people, mostly with PCs, with the .txt extension. There has to be some way to make Safari not add what it thinks it should.

thanks

Posted on Sep 21, 2005 2:12 AM

3 replies

Sep 21, 2005 10:33 AM in response to Peter J Altenberg

You could simply rename the downloaded file and erase the ".txt" that was added by Safari. Click on yes, you want to change the extension if you get a warning dialog.

You could also use Firefox to download such files. Control-clicking on a file's link and choosing "Save Link As" will bring up the Save dialog box allowing you to check the file name and where it will be saved to. Option-clicking will automatically download the file as in Safari, but without having a link to a csv file I can't say if it will add a txt extension as Safari does.

Sep 21, 2005 12:35 PM in response to Tom Graves

Thanks for the tips. The thing is that this is what I have to every day for every file. I download and have to go through and change the filename and it would be nice, since I have to do this often if I didn't have this extra step of editing the file name. It's sort of annoying that Safari has been sort of dumbed down so that you can't save the file where you want or with the name you want. I will try Firefox.

Thanks.

Don't want .txt extension added when downloading files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.