Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacPro - Why are the processors so expensive?

Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting a new MacPro as my existing one is soon going to be out of warranty.

I fancy two of the 2.66 cpus but the difference in price between the 2.26 and 2.66 is £1,120.00!

This seems a little high, especially as you can buy the 2.66 retail at around £200, so £400 for the pair.

Do you think it is worth waiting to see if the price is going to drop on these?

Or would it be possible to just buy a dual 2.26 and buy a couple of 2.66 and have them installed?

Thanks for any advise

Andy

MacPro and MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 10:28 PM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2009 11:05 PM in response to AndrewCapon

Wow, do you buy a new comp every time it goes out of warranty. Wish I could do that. Yeah the difference in price for a marginal up in clock speed seems strange. If I were you I'd stick with the base 2.26, and be happy with 8-core nehalem goodness ^^

OR, if you want a good deal, check out the refurb section at the apple store:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

2008 2.8 8-core Penryn for $2400 is decent... also refurbs get the same apple warranty. And can add applecare too if you want.

If history shows anything, you might want to wait for perhaps the next rev. or one after that. As they will most likely double the cores to 16 in 1-2 years.

Apr 29, 2009 5:48 AM in response to AndrewCapon

It's not just Apple charging too much, but Intel too. The processors you mention probably aren't Xeon Nehalem, just the Core i7 Nehalem - they share the same socket but differ on how they operate in dual processor systems; the Core i7 doesn't do dual processors. And so the Xeon Nehalem is more expensive clock for clock than the Core i7 that you can't put in the new Mac Pro, but the Xeons use less power.

New MacPro - Why are the processors so expensive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.