Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a Mini Display Port Extension

My father just bought a Mac Pro with a 24 inch cinema display monitor and he is not happy with how short the cord that runs from the monitor to the computer. Does apple or someone else make an extension for this? A mini display port extension cable.

Mac Pro 8 Core 2.226ghz 16GB Ram Nvidia GT 120, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 11:25 AM

They have been announced, but are not yet shipping.
<http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024602&pid=5502&seq=1&format=2>
23 replies

Jun 1, 2009 9:35 AM in response to LukeW

I also bought the new Mac Pro with a 24" display, and found the cable length too short to use with my desk setup. I wound up building a special riser for the Mac Pro to get it off the floor enough for the cable to connect to it. I saw this thread, which was nice to see other issues having the same issue.

A co-worker of mine just sent me this link:
http://cpustuff.com/Mini-Displayport-to-Mini-Displayport-Extension-Cable-p-16242 .html

Looks like other companies will have mini display port extension cables his month!

Jun 3, 2009 4:28 PM in response to stury

And then the question is do they work properly? I really wonder why Apple hasn't added an option to get the 24" LCD with a longer cable. This has ****** off countless people that have purchased the new Mac Pro and displays together. So one wonders if there are technical issues with the length of cable? I hope when all the extension cables come out they all work without a hitch. I'm personally waiting to see if they will work before making my purchase from Apple.

Jun 3, 2009 8:47 PM in response to seventhirteen

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the reason that the cable is so short is because they were having technical issues getting it longer. I hope that these extension cables don't degrade the image quality or cause some issues as I do eventually plan on buying one. I'm just waiting for mono price to get them in stock. I'm going to then wait and see if people have any issues with the extension cable. Right now I have my 24" LED ACD hooked up to my Mac Pro but the computer is in front of my desk, not under it which is where it will eventually go.

Message was edited by: Stuart Lawrence

Jun 10, 2009 7:58 AM in response to Stuart Lawrence

Stuart raises a good point. The issue with this extender cable I think is that they are being produced at 32 AWG which is surprisingly small wire. Displayport cables are the same technology and in our testing we found that 30 AWG cables stopped working around 15 feet. There will definitely need to be some testing done on this. Actually my company has had a few inquiries from people wanting to extend this display a bit longer, 5 or 6 meters. I know that for this we will have to go out to 28 AWG based on our testing with Displayport cables. Unfortunately nobody else has this at this point, and currently you've only got people selling 1 and 2 meter lengths. Some people have asked me "Can I just link several of these together" and my answer is that I highly doubt it, I would imagine 2 meters will be the cutoff.

Of course we have to actually have the cables and do some testing to confirm this, right now I don't think anybody knows for sure that they will work. I can confirm that the 30" Dell Displayport display worked fantastically with our Mini Displayport to Displayport Adapter Cable, and this runs at the same resolutions as the Apple Cinema Display. This cable is also 32 AWG so I think that 2 Meter shouldn't be a problem, its going beyond that which causes an issue.

We are looking into using 28 AWG for some longer extensions for the small subset of people who need to connect their computer to their monitor quite far away. With Displayport we've had positive results up to 50 feet at 28 AWG cabling.

Here's a link to our mini displayport products, the extension cable should be shipping in early July: http://estore.circuitassembly.com/categories/Adapters/Mini-Displayport/

We always try to get as much input from customers and consumers when developing products so if anyone has any concerns, ideas, needs that they want considered please e-mail me at <customerservice@estore.circuitassembly.com>. I will respond as quickly as possible.

-Andrew Lang

Jun 11, 2009 7:15 PM in response to circuitassembly

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give an update on the longer mini displayport extension cables. We are currently doing testing and sending out samples to some customers to get some results on how to solve the longer cable issues.

Check out our blog for some initial test results with 32 gauge cables and some adapters: <http://estore.circuitassembly.com/blog/can-you-make-a-longer-mini-displayport- adapter-cable-or-extension-cable/>

-Andrew Lang
Circuit Assembly eStore

Aug 11, 2009 11:34 AM in response to LukeW

Hi All, I have 20 of these extensions for sale, they are on eBay UK under item number 320403338562. They are 3 feet long and work perfectly, it really helps as the main leads are just not long enough, especially if running two displays. The are on at £29.99 but I am happy to take offers etc. Do it thru eBay rathet than this forum. Grab them while you can.

Is there a Mini Display Port Extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.