Previous 1 2 Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2006 9:05 AM by PeterH100 Go to original post
  • Jpfresno Level 4 Level 4 (3,020 points)
    Hi Eme,

    EL has a recent upgrade on TA. I tried it for a day or two and do not recall any problems. None the less I leave Total Access off. Check my posts or run a search on Total Access.

    I see that U & I discussed this previously
  • sharpeiboy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I was just having the same problem.

    I opened up Earthlink Total Access and turned off the graphics accelerator (I was swithcing between broadband and dial-up>) and now Safari works fine again.



      Mac OS X (10.4.3)  
  • Gee Why Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have the same problem connecting to web sites using Safari. Safari immediately reports that "it could not connect to the server *." But web sites show up in Firefox.

    I just switched my Internet connection from dialup to an ISDN connection, and this problem popped up.

    Running OS X 10.4.3, Safari 2.0.2, and Firefox 1.0.6.

      Mac OS X (10.4.3)  
  • Gee Why Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hmmm. Seems like the problem went away after I did some things. I made a new location in Networks system preferences and removed/disabled all interfaces except for Built-in Ethernet. After a reboot, things work as expected. Both Safari and Firefox can access web sites over my ISDN connection.
  • BryanC Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Try going to Network in Sys Preps, open Proxies and clear all the ticks in the proxy server boxes, it worked for me !

    BryanC
  • Atcandela Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
    I put up a post about this very same problem.
    I'm now on FireFox so that I can sign in to Apple and type this out.
    Safari 1.3.1 is what I have running OS 10.3.9
    I tried to set up a new network profile and a new acct.user and both
    didn't help. I did update my OSX software, which did include a few
    security updates... could this be the possible culprit? I've read a few
    threads how some users are pointing to that being the problem.
    I had no issues before the updates and recently defragmented my hard
    drive..
    Any OTHER troubleshooting ideas?..
    I DO enjoy Safari as I think
    many of other Apple users do/did until something goes wrong

    please lead this lamb safely through this safari snafu.. baaa

    thanks in advance ~A~

    PowerBook G4   Mac OS X (10.3.9)  
  • phenotype Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    Bryan, You made my day, week, month.
    Your suggestion worked. I have been going crazy dumping, reinstalling, moving to lower version all to no avail. Safari simply would not / could not find most of the servers I need-
    google, apple,yahoo,etc. Anyway your suggestions worked I had one box checked. Once I removed that safari is up and running again.

    Thanks,
    Happy Holidays

    Dan
  • Gregory Whitaker1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    This worked for me too- thanks! I was not able to connect to the Internet via Safari or through Software Update. However, iChat, Explorer, and my email program all connected fine.

    After I unchecked the one proxy setting that was on, Safari and Software Update worked like new again.
  • Jim Howard Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Same symptoms, but I got lucky. Simple reboot cleared things up. Should have thought of it myself. Thanks
  • PeterH100 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    For those on DSL connections, try reducing the MTU to 1400 from 1500. The default settings were causing conflicts with my ISP meaning I could get through to some sites but not others.
Previous 1 2 Next