Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

jaz 2GB Disk problem

Well, about a year ago, I wanted to try a Long Format on my old PC, which I don't have anymore, And the inevitable happened. Half-Way through, it failed. Now,I know the drive is still alright, as it does not do the 'Click Death'. But a Long Format on OS 9.2.2 goes in this sequence. Surface Verify goes slow, and stops, or on occasion, It will go well, then fail at 9%.

Is there any hope of recovering this disk, as the drive is not a 'Click Death' drive.

Thanks,

Dr. Power User

Power Macintosh G3 (Blue) 400MHz Rev. B, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Mac OS 9.2.2, standalone and via Classic, Mac OS 8, for PPC and 68k emulation

Posted on Apr 30, 2009 11:17 PM

5 replies

May 1, 2009 12:46 AM in response to Dr. Power User

Often, when something like this happens to a standard hard drive, the disk surface is damaged. Sometimes, one can approximately establish where the damaged area is situated by looking at when a test slows down and then starts to run at a normal speed. If one desperately wishes to use such a hard disk (which is not recommended), one could try to partition it (possibly via a third-party disk utility), where one partition would cover the bad area. The bad partition would not be used.

Jan

jaz 2GB Disk problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.