Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unusual 30 ich monitor problem

My 30 inch aluminum monitor very often shows a noticeable "gray
smudge" in the left center area (extends from the left edge to about the center of the screen and in the middle relative to vertical position; perhaps 2.5 inches in height). If I set the screen intensity to HIGH it will disappear after about 10 minutes. Usually the screen remains normal after this initial burn-in for the next several hours.

Very infrequently the screen behavior is normal following the initial boot process. Infrequently, the gray area returns if computer is little used while operating.

This phenomena is independent of the type of Apple computer driving it. O S is 10.5.6. Most often used with a MBP 2.5 GHz core 2 duo.

Think one of the back-light tubes is bad, but why does it always return to full brilliance?

Thanks for your suggestions.

MBP (early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 1, 2009 6:27 PM

1 reply

May 14, 2009 11:32 AM in response to Robert Tanis

Same phenomenon here, same monitor (3-year-old 30"), same screen position and shape, in fact I came to this forum to ask the same question. In my case it's barely noticeable and not a problem - I just make the screen brighter until it warms up - but it would be good to know whether this is something that can be fixed or just something that happens to monitors as they age.

Unusual 30 ich monitor problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.