Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ideal image size for a slideshow?

I am making a dvd slideshow w/ pictures of our son's high school band trip (doing this for the entire band). I now have 140 kids emailing their top 5 favorite pictures - mostly between 56kb - 150kb. I think they are too small and have asked the kids to put their top 5 in the largest size on a cd (so I don't clog my email server). What is the ideal image size for a slideshow? I guess I've never really wrapped my brain around this.....Thanks in advance.

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on May 3, 2009 9:34 AM

4 replies

May 3, 2009 11:24 AM in response to Karen Woods

Karen:

The key factor for iDVD slideshows is the image pixel dimension and ratio. iDVD uses photos at 720 x 540 pixels - Preparing images for iDVD slideshows. That is a 4:3 ratio so any size 640 x 480 or larger in that ratio can be used. iDVD will downsize the photos as necessary.

If the photos are not in the 4:3 ratio crop them to that in iPhoto before sending to iDVD.

NOTE: If you plan on using the Ken Burns effect in the iPhoto slideshow you'll want as large a pixel dimension as possible in the 4:3 ratio so the zoomed in image is not pixelated.

OT

Message was edited by: Old Toad

May 3, 2009 11:39 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Toad. So what I am noticing in iPhoto (not to the slideshow creating part yet) is most of the pictures the kids are sending are 604X453 or in that range. When I click on one in iPhoto, it is centered in the iPhoto window w/ roughly a 3" border where as my larger images (3456 X 2592 for example) take up the entire window. Will there be a notable difference once I create the slideshow? Thanks in advance....Karen

May 3, 2009 2:14 PM in response to Karen Woods

Any photo less than 640 x 480 will have black bands at the top and bottom or the left and right sides depending on the dimensions. Those whose width is closers to 640 than the height is to 480 will be scaled to fit the width with bands at the top and bottom. If the height is the closer dimension it will be scaled to the height with bands at the sides. It's like what you get when you add a portrait oriented photo. The height is used with bands on either side.

To see what it will look like create a test iDVD project, add a slideshow and add photos of different sizes, use the View->Show TV Safe Area menu and then play. You'll see which photos get bands.

Ideal image size for a slideshow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.