Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page View in TextEdit

Perhaps I'm just tired, but I cannot figure out how to get page view in TextEdit. In the normal document view it seems there's no way to zoom the viewing size, so I'm stuck.

I've scoured the help files but so far to no avail.

Any help appreciated.

Mac Mini 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6), ACD 30" screen (mini displayport to dual-link DVI adapter)

Posted on May 3, 2009 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2009 1:23 AM

New TextEdit documents, both plain and rich text formats, open in 'page view' with a shaded background if you make the window larger than the page, and with a zoom tool at the bottom right-hand corner.

Existing Rich Text documents, when opened, appear in the same mode: but existing plain text documents, when opened, appear in a basic view with no page size or zoom tool. To get it into 'page view' select 'Wrap to Page' from the Format menu.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2009 1:23 AM in response to david gleeson

New TextEdit documents, both plain and rich text formats, open in 'page view' with a shaded background if you make the window larger than the page, and with a zoom tool at the bottom right-hand corner.

Existing Rich Text documents, when opened, appear in the same mode: but existing plain text documents, when opened, appear in a basic view with no page size or zoom tool. To get it into 'page view' select 'Wrap to Page' from the Format menu.

May 3, 2009 9:25 PM in response to david gleeson

It must be a very simple switch.

I have two documents open, one is in a 'page layout' type view where the pages are visible against a shaded background, and there is a zoom toggle at the bottom right hand corner offering different viewing sizes.

The other document is just 'normal' view, no indication of pages, and no zoom toggle at the bottom.

I have no idea how to switch between the different viewing methods.

Both documents are rtfs.

There's nothing in the menus to suggest how this is done. Nothing in help. Right clicking doesn't help.

What am I missing?

May 4, 2009 8:54 AM in response to david gleeson

It strikes me as a cryptic way of doing it, but I'm sure it made sense somewhere along the line.

I think the theory probably is that when you open a plain text file (which may have been created anywhere, so the page size might not be the same as your printer is set to) it has no wrapping to a page size, only returns at the ends of paragraphs. It resizes itself to the window size, and what you are doing is conforming it to the page size you are set for: elsewhere in the world that might well be different (US Letter vs A4, for example).

May 4, 2009 9:04 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks again Roger,

that does make sense – particularly from a programmers point of view.

However, as an end user receiving a document created by someone else on another rig, and finding the text miniscule, and the only apparent means of magnifying it is by changing the font size - it can be frustrating.

Similarly, reaching for the 'wrap text' command when simply trying to make the print legible, feels counter-intuitive.

I will of course submit a request to Apple through the proper channels - if I can find them.

May 4, 2009 9:32 AM in response to david gleeson

david gleeson wrote:
Yvan,

I used the forum search function to find "TextEdit view" - the results all came up in Appleworks forum. It struck me as odd, but since there isn't a TextEdit forum, then where else should I post??

In the forum I used the search function with the infamous keyword "TextEdit" and, the first proposal responded to your question.

User uploaded file

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE lundi 4 mai 2009 18:32:00)

May 4, 2009 9:42 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Yvan,

1) That does not respond to my question. If you look, the question was about viewing size, not printing size which is an entirely different issue.

2) Simply entering a non-specific term 'TextEdit' into a search is not how I would choose to seek answers.

3) In any case, I saw that answer, and as stated above, it is not relevant.

Why there is such an unnecessary degree of petulance on these forums baffles me.

Page View in TextEdit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.