Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Boot Camp on Win/XP SP3?

Is Boot Camp even supported on SP3? I can't run the BC that's on the Leopard install DVD (blue screen of death), nor can I run the BCUpdateXP.exe on Apple's website (doesn't launch). I've looked at the other threads here but none addresses this issue. My Win/XP DVD is a new one with SP3 already on it. Could this be the problem, you have to go SP2 -> BC -> SP3?

Thanks

20" iMac 260GB 4GB, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 4, 2009 11:11 AM

3 replies

May 4, 2009 12:12 PM in response to Transini

If you pop Leopard disc in while running XP SP3 and it crashes, then you have:

BSOD: they seem to be due to: driver issue; ram issue; possibly even hard drive bad blocks. Or, there really are differences in XP SP3 CDs, some work, some don't.

BC 2.1 was suppose to "help" was all. If your copy of Leopard, or your Mac, came out in the last 6 months, or since 10.5.4, you don't really even need BC 2.1. Obviously you have to be running Windows to run or install any .exe update etc. What is on Apple web site is standalone but only runs AFTER or when it sees that 2.0x already exists. It is an update-only.

You could try doing chkdsk and memory test from XP.

Roll back drivers, restore from last known good check point, and boot from XP CD and run system repair.

May 4, 2009 3:50 PM in response to The hatter

Well, I'm running a vanilla install of Win/XP. No additional drivers, products, or packages, on a new iMac, so there's nothing to roll back. Surely BC can cope with a fresh Win/XP install? Memory and disk check out with no anomalies.

I notice that the machine crashes when BC tries to install the Broadcom package. I guess that means I'll never get wireless going...

How to install Boot Camp on Win/XP SP3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.