Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make Mac shut up?

A couple days ago, my MacBook Pro started talking to me. About absolutely everything. Verbally identifying everything the cursor touched. Incredibly irritating and, worse yet, I cannot turn it off. I can find nowhere in System Preferences or Applications to turn off the incessant chatter of this voice. So I have had to mute my Mac.

Also, at the same time, I began to see a black frame appear around any icon I clicked. I figue this is a new design update to match the new design of the screens. It's not a problem but I do find it inelegant which is very unusual for Apple.

If anyone knows how I can turn off the voice, I'd appreciate it. I'd also like to turn off the frame but that's no biggie. I'm guessing it's part of the most recent update.

Thanks.

MacBook 13", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 5, 2009 10:29 AM

3 replies

How do I make Mac shut up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.