Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Alias" file stuck in trash

I have a file that is stuck in my trash and I cannot delete it. I've tried the terminal method and I've also tried two programs, such as TrashIt!. Nothing has worked and I just want the file gone!

The file info indicates the kind as Alias. The name is a jumble of two different symbols, most of which look like slashes, but they're characters I've never seen before. I took a screen shot of it, but I don't think we can post pictures in this forum.

If anyone has suggestions, please post them. I've grown frustrated with this file and hope to get rid of it soon. Also, back to the file, I noticed that whenever I try to drag it to the desktop, the file literally disappears, but later reappears in the trash. Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 6, 2009 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2009 12:17 PM

If the filename looks something like this - \\\\\\\\.\\ then it was created from Windows. See the following:

Strange "\\\\\\\\.\\\" in Trash - How to get rid of it

This is a remnant from Windows trash. In order to fix the problem you must boot into Windows and run chkdsk to repair the Windows drive.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2009 12:17 PM in response to kk1487

If the filename looks something like this - \\\\\\\\.\\ then it was created from Windows. See the following:

Strange "\\\\\\\\.\\\" in Trash - How to get rid of it

This is a remnant from Windows trash. In order to fix the problem you must boot into Windows and run chkdsk to repair the Windows drive.

"Alias" file stuck in trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.