Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 2nd Generation restore error (13)

Okay,Someone please help,my daughter's iPod Touch went into recovery mode after trying to do an update and restore to the new 2.2.1 version and it will not recover. I have tried everything listed in this forum,I created a new user account and it looked as if it was downloading but apparently it wasn't installed, because when I connected to the old itunes library it would not restore and recover. Our local Apple Service can't work on them if they are still under warranty,I'm so over these update issues with Apple software,someone please help.

HP Pavilion, Windows Vista

Posted on May 6, 2009 1:47 PM

16 replies

May 6, 2009 3:38 PM in response to madmom01

Hi madmom,

This issue could be caused by the USB connection. Try the general USB troubleshooting tips in this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1286

Make sure the iPod touch is directly connected to a high-speed USB2 port on the PC, using the cable that came with it. Also, disconnect any USB devices from the PC, other than the iPod, keyboard, and mouse.

If the issue persists, test on another computer or make a reservation to have a Genius take a look at it. You can make a reservation with a Genius here: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

-Jason

May 6, 2009 8:31 PM in response to Jason L

Thanks for the reply but I have been on every support page that has any reference to this problem,and have tried them all including this one you referred me to. I have checked my computer for malfunctions,and it is fine,also my iPod Touch, which was purchased after my daughters,and came with this newer version already installed,works fine when plugged into itunes. If you or anyone else has anymore ideas,I would greatly appreciate them,cause I really would like to avoid sending it off for repair if possible. Thanks guys!

May 7, 2009 8:18 AM in response to Bryee08

I feel your pain, this is so frustrating. I tried some of the listed websites to download the older version of itunes to see if this would help,but it won't go through because the newer version is now in effect,and the iPod worked fine with the older version. But keep your fingers crossed, I emailed someone who had a post on here, he is suppose to be sending me a url soon that may fix this problem. When he does I will let you know if it works or not, and if it does I'll give you the url to fix your's. In the mean time if you,or anyone else has a fix,we would appreciate the help,cause Apple phone support was no support at all! Hang in there I'm trying. But you might try to connect to someone elses computer, this worked for my son,his will now connect to my computer. Didn't work for me though.

May 8, 2009 9:55 AM in response to Ingo2711

I am stuck in recovery mode,and now the computer doesn't even recognize it,even though everything is up to date and working fine. And it reads my iPod Touch 2nd Generation 32gb. fine. Basically right now I'm stuck,and wondering if I'm gonna have to go ahead and send it off for service,but I haven't yet,not only am I mad,I'm stubborn too,so keep sending suggestions,I'll try them all. Thanks anyway!

May 8, 2009 3:09 PM in response to madmom01

what you need to do is plug up the ipod. hold the home and power buttons together for exactly 10 secs. the hold just the home button until itunes recognizes it. itunes will say it has detected an ipod in recovery mode. either restore from the button or, if that doesn't work put it back into recovery mode. and hold the shift key while clicking restore. then browse for the firmware( you can get it off the internet) and hit open. after it has restored it should be better. 🙂

May 8, 2009 7:48 PM in response to Jpod121

Well I got the computer to recognize the iPod,but still I get the error 13 message. I did the shift restore, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. So if you would be so kind as to explain to this 47 year old madmom, who never did anything on a computer until 2 years ago, and I'm still learning, and as far as iPods go, this is compleatly new to me. And if there is a particular place I can go to on the internet, where is it, cause I'm Googled out! THANKS GUYS

May 9, 2009 9:06 AM in response to madmom01

for sure, the best website to go to is http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware . you click on the ipod touch/iphone tab and scroll down to the last two options. they are ipod tough 2g firmware 2.1.1 and 2.2.1 . i suggest 2.2.1 because it is the newest and best. select it and hit download. after the download is complete (around 30-45 mins depending on connection) do the shift click restore and select the newly downloaded firmware. hope this helps. 🙂

May 10, 2009 2:40 PM in response to madmom01

Well, I'm still getting the error 13 message. When I downloaded the firmware from the website and hooked up the iPod,it acted as if it might work,it actually showed in the download that it was loading, and it said itunes is updating iPod. I was so excited, then it went to update and restore afterwards, and that dreaded error 13 appeared again. I'm at a loss, was thier something I should've done that maybe I missed? I don't know. Any suggestions are welcomed, and Thanks again, it should have worked,you were a help.

May 11, 2009 8:21 AM in response to madmom01

By any chance are you running Norton's or McAfee products on your computer? Disable them, re-download the update from Apple, and then try your update again.

Commercial anti-virus and firewall programs seem to interfere with or block parts or all of the download. You don't notice a problem until you run the update.

May 11, 2009 1:30 PM in response to madmom01

Sorry to hear that, the only other idea i can come up with is holding the power and home buttons together until something happens. But nothing will probably happen, just a suggestion. Sorry it didn't help, sounds like its pretty messed up. I suggest that you take it back to apple or where ever you purchased it from and try to get a new one or some help.

iPod Touch 2nd Generation restore error (13)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.