Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autofill down date in Numbers '09

I have just upgraded from Appleworks and this is driving me crazy. I have a column with a hundred rows that I want to inster the same date in all the rows. I type the date in the first row and try to fill down. Numbers insists on adding on day to each row. I've even tried to force a text format by typing "Date 5//7/09" and it still a day to each row. Do I have to type a date for each row? There's got to be an easier way.

Thanks

Mac Pro Early 2008, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 7, 2009 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 10:02 AM

Put the same date in two consecutive rows. Select both cells then drag down on the little circle at the bottom right of the box. Or you can put the date in one cell, copy the cell, then paste it to the rest of the cells.
6 replies

Jan 13, 2011 10:03 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

I have just spent the last 4 hours searching both help and the user guide without being able to find the answer. I will admit that I have not read all 245 pages of the user guide.

While I agree with you that some people do not do enough reaserch in finding their answers, there is a limit to how much effort they should use before asking for help.

I would very much appreciate it if you could tell me what page in the user guide the answer is. I may just learn something.

Thanks

Jan 13, 2011 10:03 AM in response to Mike Riordan

It is found in Chapter 4 on page 76. The problem with users manuals is it's easy to find something after you know what to look for but you don't necessarily know what to look for until after you've found it.

+You can also add values to cells based on value patterns. For example, if a cell contains+
+a day of the week or a month, you can select the cell and then drag to the right or+
+down to add the next day of the week or month to the adjacent cell.+

+To create new values based on numeric patterns, select two or more cells before+
+dragging. For example, if two selected cells contain 1 and 2, the values 3 and 4 are+
+added when you drag through the adjacent two cells. And if two selected cells contain+
+1 and 4, the values 7 and 10 are added when you drag through the adjacent two cells+
+(values are incremented by 3).+

Autofill down date in Numbers '09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.