Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invalid memory access

My Powerbook G4 has recently been experiencing huge problems. It can only occasionally start up in normal mode - I get the normal grey start up screen, then either a blank blue screen with no cursor, or another grey screen with 4 or 5 lines all across it, or if I'm lucky, a proper start up.

I've been able to start up in Safe Mode.
I've fixed all permissions.
I've verified the harddrive (no fixes needed).
I've zapped the PRAM.
I've done the fsck thing (no fixes needed).

The big problem is that I'm currently traveling and I don't have my install CD/DVDs with me. I did download a copy of the hardware test and burned it to make a AHT start up CD. When I run this, I get:

invalid memory access at %SRR0: 00032ed8 %SS1: 003030

and then it gives me the option to 'mac-boot' or 'shut-down'. The weird part is that the AHT readme mentions a control panel of some sort when the AHT runs, but all it get is white text on a blank screen, kind of like a terminal prompt. Is that what I'm supposed to get?

I've tried pulling out the 3rd party RAM I installed, but even with just the internal RAM, the AHT gives me the same invalid memory access message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 8, 2009 10:46 PM

10 replies

May 9, 2009 6:49 AM in response to BDAqua

It does boot into Open Firmware. I executed the commands you outlined, but unfortunately it didn't seem to resolve the issue. It still won't boot most of the time.

Incidentally, I have begun to identify a pattern on the occasions when it does boot up properly. The machine will force quit certain programs that use video as soon as I open them. VLC media player closes as soon as I open it, and iTunes will close when I try to access any videos. Strangely, iTunes will also quit if I try to change the view to CoverView. (Incidentally, quicktime runs without a problem, although it seems to drop frames, ie the playback is a bit chunky.) Also, the machine will crash (greyed out screen with the 'you need to restart your mac' message in four languages) when, in Finder, I have it set to column view and I highlight a video file, thereby creating a 'preview' of the video in the rightmost column. When I do this, bang!, the entire machine revolts and I'm told to restart.

I don't know if any of this means anything, but I thought I'd mention it.

Any ideas?

May 9, 2009 11:56 AM in response to TimInOz

Well, it IS a Hardware problem it seems for sure, and the invalid memory access at %SRR0: 00032ed8 %SS1: 003030 indicates Memory, just can't track down as to whether it's Firmware ROM, RAM, Video RAM, or what.

One thing Safe Boot does is load a smaller, simpler Video Driver, as well as putting far fewer requirements on the rest of the HW.

May 9, 2009 1:34 PM in response to TimInOz

TimInOz wrote:

I've tried pulling out the 3rd party RAM I installed, but even with just the internal RAM, the AHT gives me the same invalid memory access message.

Is any of the internal RAM removable? Another way to check your RAM is to launch System Profiler, then in the Contents >Hardware (left pane), click on Memory and the right pane will show the Status of each Memory slot. Good RAM is "OK" status.

TimInOz wrote:
VLC media player closes as soon as I open it, and iTunes will close when I try to access any videos. Strangely, iTunes will also quit if I try to change the view to CoverView. ...and I highlight a video file, thereby creating a 'preview' of the video in the rightmost column. When I do this, bang!, the entire machine revolts and I'm told to restart.

Not that the following will solve your invalid memory issue, but since you can sometimes boot up properly... Do you have the latest version of VLC media player? Apparently, there were some PowerPC issues. See VLC media player 0.9.9a for Mac OS X

May 10, 2009 6:39 AM in response to LilyLC

I have a 1 GB unit of removable RAM that I've taken out. I get the same invalid memory access error when the removable RAM is removed, so I guess this means it must be the in-built RAM. I have no idea if I can remove the in-built RAM. Is that kind of thing even possible?

The system profiler says that all the memory units are OK.

Any other ideas would be appreciated...

May 11, 2009 9:10 AM in response to TimInOz

TimInOz wrote:
I get the same invalid memory access error when the removable RAM is removed, so I guess this means it must be the in-built RAM. I have no idea if I can remove the in-built RAM. Is that kind of thing even possible?

I do NOT think so.

The system profiler says that all the memory units are OK.

Hmm... Although BDAqua said, "...it IS a Hardware problem it seems for sure" the words "is" and "seems" in the same sentence is tenuous. Not that I know anything, but wonder if it could be a bad block in your hard drive. Since you report the issues with video, if you have not already done so try updating VLC media player to version 0.9.9 a

One other thought, consider creating another user and booting with the new user account.

May 13, 2009 6:05 AM in response to LilyLC

BDAqua and LilyLC, thanks for the advice on this issue. I've finally given in and sent the machine off to be looked at by the pros in Singapore. Hopefully they'll come back with good news. Since the issue was much more than just VLC not working, I felt I'd kinda come to the end of the rope.

Incidentally, I read a thread on another mac site that said that Apple charged a flat rate ($300 as of that 2006 post) for changing the logic board. Let's hope that still holds true. If anything interesting surfaces during the servicing, I'll post back here.

thanks again for all the help, and wish me luck.

May 23, 2009 11:19 PM in response to BDAqua

After much ado, and two weeks of waiting, it looks like good news all around. The guys in Bangkok were able to get things sorted -- while there was a bit of a language barrier, as best as I can understand there explanation, it seems that the 'circuit' on the graphics card needed to be taken out and either cleaned or replaced, the technician used both terms during his review of what was done.

To any of the more technically inclined out there, does this make sense?

But the important thing is that the laptop seems to be in perfect working order now. VLC works as well. No data or applications were lost in the process, and in the end it only cost about $100. Plus, the work has a two month warranty, which is a nice touch, even if I won't be in the country to take advantage should I need to. All in all, lovely.

Invalid memory access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.