Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iPhoto library folder to new location

My pictures in iphoto are starting to take up a lot of place on my hard drive to the point where it's painfully noticeable- my computer has slowed down a lot. In the past, I've solved this problem by burning my pictures onto a cd and then deleting them from the computer and starting over new. However, I am currently without blank cd's and with a huge external harddrive. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to change the location of the iphoto library folder to my external so that the pictures will use up space on the external and not on my computer. I've done this with all my music in itunes and it works quite well. iphoto just doesn't seem as well prepared for this option. Has anyone else tried this with success? Or failure? Any other recommendations?
Thanks.

iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 10, 2009 8:30 AM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2010 3:10 PM in response to James Stathis

No - that is why there are different forums for each version

for iPhoto '08 (version 7.1.5) quit iPhoto, drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external disk and launch iPhoto while depressing the option (alt) key and use the select library option to point iPhoto to the new library location - test the library on the EHD and after you are sure it is complete and good you can drag the old iPhoto library on the internal HD to the trash (I suggest testing one more time before emptying the trash just to be sure)

LN

Moving iPhoto library folder to new location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.