Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Shuffle Problem, Same Artists in a Row

I've done a lot of searching on this one and I've seen similar issues but without a good answer.

So back in iTunes' older days there was definitely a slider under general preferences that you could slide between "less likely to play songs by the same artists in a row" and "more likely" in regards to the shuffle function. Thinking it might be a good idea, I slid that slider over to the "more likely" side.

So now, a few software updates later, I am actually using "shuffle". What I'm finding is that my iTunes will play a ridiculous amount of songs by the same artist in a row. Very annoying. When I went back to try and change this, I found that such a slider was nonexistent. Apparently apple deleted this preference function, but the effects of my initial choice are still around.

Now this does not have to do with any sort of "smart playlist" option, as I have seen other people suggest. We're talking the actual, run-of-the-mill shuffle, the one that can be turned on at the bottom left of the iTunes window. And I have the latest version of the program; the software update has had no effect on my problem.

Soooo the big question is how can I get my shuffle back to normal, so more than one artist is played?

I eagerly await someone's reply. Until then, I'll be listening to the entire Coldplay discography courtesy of my stupid iTunes. Thanks in advance...

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 11, 2009 6:03 PM

5 replies

Jul 28, 2010 12:38 PM in response to Ones and Zeros

I've stopped using shuffle for this very reason. The settings are song-dependent, and not sorted by album or group. Yet iTunes keeps shuffling through the same band over and over, ignoring the hundreds of other artists on the playlist.

Has there been ANY progress made on this? Or is this just another one of the many problems that Apple finds too inconvenient to deem worth looking into?

Jun 29, 2010 7:56 PM in response to conor52

I've had the exact same problem. Itunes Shuffle is a total joke. I bought a bunch of music the other day (which I added to a large mix) and after 3 days of listening, the same old songs keep playing in the mix. Sometimes it's the same band three songs in a row. I finally went through the list and realized some of the new songs I've bought haven't had single play. I've tried changing the shuffle from song, to album, and still no change. Not a clue how this is possible.

Drives you absolutely nuts when you're trying to get your work done and the same bands are playing everyday.

iTunes Shuffle Problem, Same Artists in a Row

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.