Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thoughts about using a 8800 GT as dual head vs adding a second card.

Hi, I just added a 20" monitor to my system. (had a 23" on a 8800 GT)

Rather than run the 20" on the second port on the 8800 GT, for now I chose to try running it on a 7300 GT in slot 4. That card is running at only x8, not x16 and is rather close to the HD...

I'm wondering what others think of using the second port on the 8800 GT vs the extra 7300 GT. If I did how much could it effect the 3D performance on the main 23" display? Is there a good way to test this?

Side note... I'm also wondering if after 10.6 comes out, and apps start to use OpenCL, will it be good to have the 2nd video card for a little extra OpenCL kick...

Mac Pro Dual 2.66, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 11, 2009 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2009 9:39 PM

If you have only two displays, remove the 7300 GT and use the two ports on the 8800 GT. That way,m the graphics processor can handle mirroring, dragging windows between displays, and windows that span displays. Also, some applications will not run at full speed when there are multiple graphics cards, even if it is only using one display, because the application can't be sure you won't drag a window across displays.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2009 9:39 PM in response to Steven Dodds

If you have only two displays, remove the 7300 GT and use the two ports on the 8800 GT. That way,m the graphics processor can handle mirroring, dragging windows between displays, and windows that span displays. Also, some applications will not run at full speed when there are multiple graphics cards, even if it is only using one display, because the application can't be sure you won't drag a window across displays.

thoughts about using a 8800 GT as dual head vs adding a second card.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.