Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari phishing vulnerability

This was just made public yesterday. Basically Safari (among some other browsers) appears to mishandle certain unicoded URLs, which can result in phishing attacks (i.e. presenting you with a webpage you believe to be something, for example, paypal, which it is really not). In fact the examples given by the author of the advisory use PayPal, and it definitely appears to work (I used Safari 1.2.4, but the paper claims 1.2.5 is vulnerable as well). Hopefully Apple will release a security update, or a workaround, for this soon - it is quite scary. I haven't looked to see if there is a way to disable this behaviour (evidently, other browsers have this capability) - I'll repost if I find anything.

Here is the link with the full explanation and examples:

http://www.shmoo.com/idn/homograph.txt

Very scary.

Posted on Feb 7, 2005 7:04 AM

15 replies

Feb 7, 2005 7:15 AM in response to attica

2 follow-up items.

First, I tested this with IE, and it did not work. If I understand the advisory, there are plugins available for IE, but not installed by default. Crazy, this is usually the reverse of how these things go... 😉

Second, I checked via auto-update, and I have the latest Safari (I believe). Perhaps the 1.2.5 version the advisory refers to really just means 1.2.4 (v125.12)?

Feb 7, 2005 7:17 AM in response to attica

attica:

To my knowledge, the problem you depict is not a Safari problem. Most of us, regardless of browser, get E-mails that attempt to secure personal information. In fact, I got one on a heavily protected government computer in a Windows environment running IE with all the latest updates. The phishing can be ignored....just do not respond to requests for data.

The correct procedure (many sites, including eBay, recommend you be very sure the message is from the correct source) is NOT to respond to requests for information unless you are sure about the souurce. When in doubt, check. My bank posts the same warning.

Barry

Feb 7, 2005 3:24 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

Actually, no, it is a Safari problem. If you read the advisory, it claims (and I have verified) that if presented a link, Safari will take you to one URL (the encoded one), while claiming (via the location bar) another. The advisory gives examples, check them out.

This advisory has nothing to do with phishing scams in particular, other than to suggest that they could utilize this technology, but rather the incorrect handling of International Domain Names (IDN).

Feb 7, 2005 8:12 PM in response to attica

Here's a quick fix that will work until Apple changes IDN support in Safari.

------
**Do not hold me responsible for your misfortunes if you follow these instructions. Save a back-up copy of Safari)

FIRST, QUIT Safari! (maybe you should print these instructions first, unless your memory is great)

1) You must have the dev tools installed and quit Safari.
2) Show Package Contents of Safari and go to the folder Safari>Contents>Resources>English.lproj and open up the file called Browser.nib
3) Click "OK"
4) Click once on the "Go to this address" box. Be careful not to drag it anywhere.
5) Hit Open-Apple T to bring up the Font window.
6) Change it to something basic, like Courier which is a fixed width font and fairly basic.
7) Save
8) Enjoy!

Here's an example I posted on another message board http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,12608658~mode=flat#12608833

Feb 8, 2005 9:29 AM in response to attica

I believe this is quite a big threat...I used Safari 1.2.4 and Firefox on the links Attica posted, and both were vunerable.

This article mentions to always manually type Web address directly into a browser rather than clicking on a link sent via e-mail or even copying and pasting that link.

This is from a Yahoo article here: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&e=2&u=/ap/webbrowserflaw

Feb 8, 2005 9:55 PM in response to Donal Holway

Be aware that the work around described for Firefox does not stick. You must re-do every time you launch Firefox.

Also be aware that this is NOT a flaw in Safari or Firefox. This problem is caused by the IDN specification itself. Safari has implemented the spec correctly. The flaw is in the IDN rules.

Be aware that the reason this exploit doesn't work in Internet Explorer is because IE doesn't even support IDN, not because IE is somehow correctly implements the spec.

And finally, as an earlier poster stated, you're own vulnerability is low or nil. Proof of concept does not a problem make. We've been through this before with the "First OSX Trojan Horse" scare and very other scare so far. A proof of concept surfaces, the chicken-littles scream holy murder, nothing ever comes of it. Apple eventually releases a security update. Repeat same with next proof of concept to appear.

Could it happen? Yes. Will it, in fact, happen? Based on previous announced exploits, probably not. Best advice? Just be aware of where you are on the internet and pay attention to what you are doing.

Feb 9, 2005 1:31 PM in response to lkrupp

Be aware that the reason this exploit doesn't work in Internet Explorer is >because IE doesn't even support IDN, not because IE is somehow correctly >implements the spec.

Actually, it's because the plugins aren't installed by default.

And finally, as an earlier poster stated, you're own vulnerability is low or nil.

I think that depends on who you are. My degree of vulnerability is pretty low - mainly because I'm a paranoid freak. However, people get involved in phishing scams all the time, and this just makes it easier.

My post was not intended to knock Apple, but to increase awareness. And as far as "chicken-littles scream holy murder" - I have but one question to ask. Have you ever seen an OS X system compromised? I have. Maybe it's not "holy murder", but "Hey, didja ever consider this..." Maybe you think I'm yelling "holy murder", but I believe I'm just increasing awareness...

And I quite disagree with your line of "logic" based on previously announced exploits. That's like people who used to say the same thing about Linux when they wanted it to beat M$, and there are plenty of exploits for Linux now. My experience tells me that it is inevitable that something will be created specifically for OS X. I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt it.

Feb 12, 2005 10:23 AM in response to attica

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess. When the hoopla started over the OS X trojan proof of concept I believe you were one of the most strident predictors of doom, along with *Sailfish. Any attempts to quell people's fears by pointing out the actual, real threat, was not that high were shouted down. And guess what, nothing ever came of the exploit.

I expect to be shouted down again but I still maintain that people can be made aware of a problem without what amounts to fear-mongering from self-described "paranoid freaks".

Feb 12, 2005 2:20 PM in response to attica

Actually, it's because the plugins aren't installed by default.

There's no IDN plugin for IE for the Mac, is there?

The point of IDN is of course to let people whose native language uses a script other than simple Latin to register domain names in those scripts. The addition of many thousands of possible characters that can appear in urls greatly multiplies the possibility for mistaken identity, either accidental or on purpose. This can already happen with Latin, because different characters can look the same in various fonts, but it is much more limited.

Restricting IDN will limit access to the newly possible urls.

Rules were developed to reduce the potential problems, but I gather they are not being well followed:

http://www.icann.org/general/idn-guidelines-20jun03.htm

Safari phishing vulnerability

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.