You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix for "localized string not found" issue

The problem with "localized string not found" issues is in the System>Library>Frameworks>WebKit.framework.

Normally the problem is very specific, within the WebKit.framework. The System>Library>Frameworks>WebKit.framework>Versions>A>Resources folder should have the folder English.lproj, but it's probably missing. If the English.lproj folder is present, then the Localizable.strings file within it is missing.

Many people have mentioned the solution of downloading Safari and reinstalling after trashing the WebKit.framework. While this solution works, it's overkill and also require more updating. This is because the downloadable version of Safari isn't the current version, but rather requires the Combo Update to be re-run in order to re-update the entire Safari. Thus you'd need to Restart and wait for the whole Optimization process, a waste of time and effort.

The easier solution is to download Safari and then open the Safari.pkg package with Pacifist and navigate within Pacifist to whatever folder or file you're missing (hopefully only the English.lproj folder) and then highlight it and hit "Install" using Pacifist. If you're only missing the English.lproj folder you don't even need to quit Safari or Restart or anything, the problem will be fixed as soon as Pacifist installs the folder containing the "Localizable.strings" file.

Posted on Mar 24, 2005 8:08 PM

7 replies

Mar 26, 2005 6:41 AM in response to K Tilford

Sorry to be the pain in the neck, but here it doesn't work.

The only ctrl-click function for which I have the localized string not found is "open in a new window" (the rest seemas to appear fine).

But using pacifist and reinstalling the Webkit or reinstalling Safari and repplying the combo doesn't help.

I also remarked that Mail.app is hit, too.
While receiving an HTML message with an URL, ctrl-click on the uRL gives the "localized string not found" on each of the three functions.

Perhaps this will help ?

Mar 27, 2005 3:41 PM in response to K Tilford

Being a person who will hold off to the very end and also one who resists change, I have been using both Safari & Internet Explorer and when this happened while attempting to upload some photo's to the web, I tried it on the other browser. I received the same results, and tried for two days to see where I was going wrong. At 4am I threw in the towel and backed up ALL of my files, no easy task to do. I re installed using the "update" option rather than the archive option. I re installed what was advised by Software update each time. I am now at 10.3.4 and checked to see if it was fixed. It was not. I now am "here" and lo and behold, it wasn't me who was the culprit, it was the software. Now I'm wondering what to do. I also had installed fresh copies of Safari once after updating using the disks to 10.3.4. I'm getting an eerie feeling that I'm about to waste more time without getting this fixed. Any suggestions?

Fix for "localized string not found" issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.