Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Other...' shows up permanently, root user disabled

Hello,

For some unknown reason the 'Other...' option appeared in my login screen window and I can't seem to get rid of it. I've done a bit of Googling and it was suggested that 'Other...' shows up when the root user is enabled (in Directory Utility).

I checked to see if root was enabled and it was disabled, as is by default. I tried enabling and then disabling root to see if it would correct the issue and it didn't.

I tried all the usual procedures for Mac problems (repairing permissions, running maintenance scripts etc.) but none of that helped.

In Account Preferences the option to allow network users to login is disabled, so is the guest account, so it's neither of those.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm downloading the 10.5.7 update as I type this, though I doubt it'll fix anything.

MacBook Pro 15" 3,1, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2.4GHz Santa Rosa, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD 5400RPM

Posted on May 13, 2009 9:58 AM

5 replies

May 13, 2009 10:16 AM in response to Leaping Ahead

It was noted way back in 10.5.0 that using "Directory Utility" to disable "root" doesn't reverse all of the changes made when it used to enable "root" -- including whatever triggers the appearance of "Other" at the login window. Apparently, this still hasn't been resolved.

Instead, try logging in to an "admin" account, launching "/Applications" > "Utilities" > "Terminal.app" and entering this command:<pre>
dsenableroot -d</pre>

May 13, 2009 12:45 PM in response to Leaping Ahead

Hi

Apart from enabling Root Directory Utility also allows for Active Directory 'binding' and Open Directory 'joining'. Either LDAP Server will present 'Other' as an option on the login screen assuming the credentials presented for Active Directory were correct. For Open Directory you would not necessarily need authenticated binding.

On the login window clicking on the gray letters beneath where it says OSX should cycle certain information. Things like Build and OSX Version, Serial Number etc. If it says Network Accounts Available then odds are that's where the 'Other' Account is coming from.

To remove quit out of all applications launch Terminal and issue:

sudo rm -R /Library/Preferences/DirectoryService

followed by a restart. Hopefully you should be back to normal?

Tony

'Other...' shows up permanently, root user disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.