Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Send Mail - Server "smtp" failed

Hello -
I got the iPhone a week ago and I finally got my work email account to appear on iPhone via POP. But while I can receive email, I CANNOT reply or send email out. I've tried changing SMTP port from 25 to 587, 2500, and 2525 but am still getting the "Cannot Send Mail" message. Have also gone back in to Outgoing Mail Server settings on iPhone to turn SSL off and Authentication via Password.

Company email is hosted by PacificNet Hong Kong and I'm trying to access email in the US. PacNet tech support forwarded me this link as troubleshooting iPhone email set up: http://tinyurl.com/pacnethk

Out of curiosity, I took the settings and applied to Thunderbird and had no problems receiving or sending mail. Is it just the software on the iPhone or am I missing something?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 13, 2009 5:05 PM

6 replies

May 13, 2009 5:44 PM in response to chenners

Hi,

Can you send emails from the Mail application in Mac OS X? If you can, sync the email account settings to the iPhone after checking the Advanced option on the Info tab in iTunes, which will replace email accounts on the iPhone. You can find more information about the option on page 134 of the iPhone User Guide. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhoneUserGuide.pdf

This article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1426 provides tips that will resolve most send mail issues.

-Jason

May 13, 2009 6:24 PM in response to Jason L

Jason -
Thanks for the prompt reply. Noted the iPhone User Guide and article link, but can't help feeling I'm still going in circles.

Mail on Mac OS X isn't linking to my work email either, just to my Mobile Me account. The only success I've had with sending out work email on the iPhone is through visiting the Pacnet webmail page on Safari. And the text set up is nowhere near as readable as it is from the Mail Accounts screen!

I suppose as a last resort I could forward work email to a free email account such as yahoo or gmail, but I'd really rather not if there's a fix that can be made. I'm too tied to my business email address showing the "From" list and think it appears more professional and/or legit.

May 13, 2009 6:44 PM in response to chenners

You created this email account with Thunderbird on your Mac and you are able to send messages with the account using Thunderbird.

If so, create the account with the Mail.app on your Mac using the same account settings used to create the account with Thunderbird. If you are able to send messages with the Mail.app on your Mac, delete the account on your iPhone and under the Info tab for your iPhone sync preferences with iTunes below email accounts, select this account for the account settings to be transferred to your iPhone via the iTunes sync process. Select Apply followed by a sync to transfer the email account settings used with the Mail.app on your Mac to the email client on your iPhone. Test if you are able to send messages.

May 13, 2009 9:53 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks Alan -
I didn't know I could sync the Mac.app mail accounts through iPhone as you'd mentioned - it gives me hope (not to mention that I should properly study the documentation provided)!

Unfortunately, after configuring the settings on my Mail.app to match those of Thunderbird, I'm still getting a message reading "Cannot send message using the server smtp.pacific.net.hk. The server 'smtp.pacific.net.hk' refused to allow a connection on the default ports" when trying to send out emails. This after changing to port 2500 and 2525 as per Pacnet tech support pages http://tinyurl.com/y83224 and http://tinyurl.com/psds7b. Incoming emails are visible as was the case on iPhone, but both iPhone and Mail cannot send out email.

Should I get in contact with the HKO to see if the ISP has got a different SMTP setting?

Just as an aside: both my manager and I are aiming to see who can "fix" this and be the first to get work email on their iPhones. Silly, I know...

May 13, 2009 10:21 PM in response to chenners

Hi there - I just had almost exactly the same problem, and my solution was embarrassingly simple...so I am posting it on the very slim chance that it may be something you haven't considered. If you have tried this and it hasn't helped, apologies.

Go into Settings, then into the Mail option - select the account in question, then scroll down to the "Outgoing Mail Server" section. This must be the one that matches your iPhone provider, which may or may not be the same as the incoming mail server. In my case, it was the Vodafone smtp server here is Australia. If this is not set as the primary smtp server, switch off the one selected as your primary, and just switch the phone service provider's one on. This should set that as the default smtp. Go back a screen to check this is the case, then exit settings and give it a test.

In my case, the initial sync of email accounts from my Mac transferred the Mac's email outgoing server settings - and since this my ISO and phone provider are different, i could receive but not send emails.

Again, apologies if this is no help, but after two days of headaches I was both relieved and mortified that this was the answer. Good luck solving this before your boss!

May 14, 2009 12:16 AM in response to Nina H

Nina -
In the words of Stacy London, *"SHUT UP."* (As in, I can't believe that! And, again: review the literature/documentation provided!)

I did as you mentioned & on the iPhone switched the Primary SMTP server from the one associated with my work email (smtp.pacific.net.hk) to AT&T SMTP Server. I left the user name & password blank & on the "Other SMTP Servers," selected cwmx.com.

Then I went back and sent myself an email. It took a loooonnnngggg time (8 minutes to be exact), but I finally got a message out. Dunno how well the lag time will do on the business front though and it brings up more questions.

-Why the extreme lag in sending out mail when cwmx.com is selected as primary SMTP server?
-What happens in cases where I've to travel overseas, and I'm outside of AT&T/3G service area - can mail still be sent or will there be more troubles?

Thanks for the fix Nina & for everyone else's input. I think in the long run, it may just be easier to link iPhone to a free email account. 😟 Yet another disappointment that I'm hoping will be addressed by Mac.

Cannot Send Mail - Server "smtp" failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.