Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5.7 upgrade problem

I tried upgrading the OS to 10.5.7 today on a two and a half year old MacBook Pro. On restart and install, the upgrade failed. Subsequent attempts at restart lead to an error message that begins:
panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001AC125): ~Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM~@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.12.14/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:638
Of course, I have no idea what this or the subsequent lines mean.

I have the Leopard OS X install DVD and a Time Machine backup on an external drive. Overlaid on the above error message, I get the "You need to restart your computer...." prompt irrespective of whether the install DVD is in the drive.

I would be grateful for suggestions on what I should do.

Can I reinstall Leopard from the DVD and try upgrading to the latest version of 10.5 afterwards? How would I do this?

Copious thanks and best wishes,

Vishnu

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on May 14, 2009 2:38 PM

6 replies

May 14, 2009 2:53 PM in response to vjejjala

I think the larger question is whether or not you can still boot to the installer DVD.
- Leave the DVD in the drive, restart the machine and hold the D key down to start to the AHT part.
- Select the extended test and before you run it click on the Hardware tab to see if it sees all the RAM you have installed. Any RAM flagged as bad will be written in red text.
- If you see no red flagged RAM then go back to the Test tab and run the test.
Just remember, you said you have a Time Machine backup. I found it easier to restore from backup (took about 1.5 to 1.75 hours on my Mac Pro restoring about 175 GB).
That is why we have Time Machine.
Select the last backup before the update to 10.5.7.

10.5.7 upgrade problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.