Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth PAN Problem

I started to use the Internet Sharing from my Samsung Omnia with my MBP 10.5.6
and it's seem to be good at first, means I can set up all right but when I clicked "Connect to Network" the bluetooth sign appears three dots, that's mean they are connected right? and back to my Omnia status show "Connected" but when I open the Safari it's say you are not connect to the internet so I check in the network Pref, Bluetooth PAN is not connected, actually nothing is connected

how can I solve the problem?
anyone who knows help me plssss!

and Thksssss for all answer

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 15, 2009 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2009 12:00 PM

Hi there Popcornii,
I had the same issue but it's now solved. Apple released the new 10.5.7 update which addresses the Bluetooth PAN issue. Apply the new update and you won't have this problem again. I'm actually using my Internet Sharing feature on my HTC Tilt and it works great.
14 replies

Jun 14, 2009 8:12 AM in response to WINGZERO619

I've read your reply on Popcornii issue with the tethering. I own an Omnia too and every tethering was always a success using the previous versions of 10.5 Leopard. However, after I've updated my OS to 10.5.7, the bluetooth PAN cannot be connected any more. Perhaps your HTC Tilt may have worked but may I know what other changes did you make (like in the Systems Preference Pane)?
What's your take on this issue?

Jun 14, 2009 10:40 PM in response to Popcornii

Hello again. I've paired my Omnia with my iMac G5 iSight this time. The connection of the phone bluetooth PAN with my iMac was not disconnected (as it did with my Powerbook 12"). The connection stayed on. Previously, on my Powerbook, the phone was properly paired and its service of providing Bluetooth PAN was recognized. However, whenever I tried to connect to the network via my Omnia, no connection was able to be made. I must add that in the past, I had successful connections with the previous updates of the Leopard on my Powerbook. The disconnections occurred after I've updated my Powerbook 12" to 10.5.7.
Thus, I'll like to conclude that the disconnection of the Bluetooth PAN has to do with the computer and not the Leopard update 10.5.7 itself.
I hope to try out the Bluetooth tethering with the iPhone 3.0 and see if the message of "The bluetooth network is unavailable" appears again with my Powerbook 12". Thanks.

Jun 14, 2009 11:30 PM in response to Popcornii

Hello again (again).
I've just finished reading a thread on bluetooth devices for headphones and chanced upon this solution for the disconnection issue of my Bluetooth PAN via my Omnia to my Powerbook 12" which is running on the Leopard 10.5.7. I've tried it and it worked on my Powerbook 12" (finally).
The process might be read with some difficulties but please bear with me:
1) I opened the System Preferences on my Powerbook 12" (10.5.7).
2) Click on the Bluetooth icon.
3) A list of bluetooth devices that are paired with my laptop is reflected on the left.
4) I look for my Omnia or SGH-i900 (which was paired already before) and highlight it by clicking on it.
5) Look below the list for the "+", "-" and "<Gear>" symbols.
6) Click on the <Gear> symbol to reveal a drop down list.
7) Select "Show More Info" and the drop down list is modified to reveal more options. The drop down list will disappear.
8) Click on the <Gear> again and select "Update Device Services". The Drop down list will disappear again.
9) You'll notice that the Omnia lights up and there is a connection.
10) At the same time (and quickly), click on the <Gear> again and select "Connect to Network".
11) This time, the connection should hold and the Bluetooth PAN is up.

Until Apple does something about this issue, I'll have to execute the above procedure for surfing without Wi-fi on 3.5G networks.

Jun 30, 2009 7:12 PM in response to Popcornii

I had this same problem establishing a Bluetooth tethering connection to my iPhone 3GS.

The solution was to first disconnect my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, then Connect to Network on my phone, and finally reconnect the Bluetooth Keyboard.

For whatever reason, Mac OS X seems unable to establish a Bluetooth network connection while an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard is connected.

Jul 5, 2009 3:07 AM in response to Popcornii

I have a similar issue with my HTC Touch Pro2. The "connect to network" entry does not appear in the device's dropdown menu. When i try to establish a connection from the HTC Touch Pro2 i get a message that my Macbook Pro would not support PAN. Something is clearly wrong. When using Windows XP Bootcamp on the same machine, everything works fine.

Jul 26, 2009 8:01 PM in response to Der Kork

I have the exact problem. I also have an HTC Touch Pro2 and I can't see the "Connect to Network" menu; however, my brother has an HTC Touch Diamond2 and I can see the option.

EDIT: I just tested tethering my brother's phone to my MacBook with Bluetooth PAN, and it worked seamlessly. I think we should be reporting this problem to HTC instead of Apple...

Message was edited by: david k lee

Aug 13, 2009 2:00 AM in response to sentience

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I thought I'd add my voice to the discussion.

I had the same problem with tethering my iPhone 3GS, too, except this time the culprit was my Logitech bluetooth mouse. Took me a while to figure it out - it never connected when I was at work, but always did when I was at home. Difference was, of course, that I didn't use the mouse at home when the computer was on my lap!

Using 10.5.8, so the problem persists.

Sep 2, 2009 12:48 AM in response to Mudge

This thread should be copied on 10.6 for Snow Leopard. I have had this same exact issue trying to tether my HTC Touch PRO to my Mac and connects and used to connect just fine but as soon as you browse with any browser it kills the bluetooth connection. This used to work but it was broke by Apple at some update. I confirmed that my phone still tethers to my Windows laptop over bluetooth PAN. I recently got a new Macbook Pro and updated to Snow Leopard 10.6 and the issue still exists even with all updates installed and Bluetooth firmware update. If I format and go back to the orignal Leopard 10.5 and tether my phone it will work flawlessly. What's going on Apple?

Sep 5, 2009 12:17 AM in response to Popcornii

I've spent a lot of the last 24 hours working out this problem with my new iphone and my MacBook.
Tethering worked fine 1st day. Then nothing day 2.
• No tethering via bluetooth.
• USB not allowing Tethering either.
• MacBook Bluetooth Menu allows me to setup iphone as device but wont allow me to Connect to Network.
• iPhone sees MacBook via bluetooth but wont connect even after setup and PIN sharing.

Read & retried all the setups. Then contacted the carrier Vodafone. They gave up after 4 calls and referred me to Apple Support. Apple wanted me to Reset the iphone - No help. Then Restore - No go.
So on this thread read about the issue with the bluetooth mouse. Aha! Deleted Paired Mouse in Bluetooth Device Setup on laptop and Tethering started fine (blue bar appears on iPhone screen). However.... Still no internet!
Still had to go to Network Prefs on MacBook and add a new PAN network. It did it automatically on Day 1 so no idea why not this time. Good job it did and I remembered it or I'd still be stuck now. Clicking Add prompted me for the PAN connection I wanted. After finally remembering to 'Apply' new setting we're off (touch wood) and running.

Feb 19, 2016 1:14 PM in response to CandyAndy

I was having the same problem. But I'm using a different ROM on my HTC Touch. I keep getting the weird IP address when I connect via PAN. Turns out it was my Touch. You guys can check this...

[HKEY LOCALMACHINE\Comm\BTPAN1\Parms\TcpIp]
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000000

Mine was set to dword:00000001

Hope it helps.. but my PAN is working changing it to Zero

Sep 30, 2009 10:19 AM in response to CandyAndy

I had the same issue caused by some interaction between iphone 3GS and my MacBook Pro; my iphone needed to be powered cycled (off then on).

I followed your advice and added a new PAN network (after having removed the non connecting Bluetooth PAN; ➖ button). Like you clicking Add ➕ prompted me to create a new PAN connection. After 'Apply'ing changes Bluetooth PAN connected when connected to my iPhone.

Thanks for you post!

Bluetooth PAN Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.