Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iMovie stretch my images upon importing?

I've got some footage that I'm trying to import, but iMovie stretches out the video horizontally. I shot the footage using my Panasonic Widescreen mode, but why does iMovie take that footage and stretch it out further? Anyone have any thoughts?

20" Intel iMac 2GB RAM - 500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2 Western Digital 1 TB External HD's

Posted on May 15, 2009 2:23 PM

5 replies

May 19, 2009 11:40 AM in response to Terrabay

I am having the exact same problem – import 4:3 SD footage and iMovie is 'forcing' it to 16:9, letterboxed. Only difference is it is affecting SOME of the clips (though, 90% are affected). I've double checked the .dv formatted source clips – all are at 4:3 ratio. Even tried reimported the clips. Nothing.

Have also tried alternating the Project Properties and checking individual clips settings. Nothing to do with aspect ratio in the Clip Settings. Very frustrating.

It's kinda sad that Final Cut is easier to use than the 'new' iMovie!

Any solution to this?

May 19, 2009 8:58 PM in response to Terrabay

If AppleMan1958's suggestion does not resolve your problem, and if iMovie is the ONLY app that is giving problems, your iMovie preferences file may be corrupted.

To check this out, quit all applications. Then throw away your iMovie Preferences file (com.apple.iMovie8.plist) from your Home (user) / Library / Preferences folder.

A new preferences folder will be generated when you restart iMovie to test whether iMovie imports properly now, but you will need to reset any preference settings you want different from the default values.

EZ Jim

G5 DP 1.8GHz w/Mac OS X (10.5.7) PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11)   iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9)  External iSight

Why does iMovie stretch my images upon importing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.