Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain forgets Mail password.

Not sure if this is a Mail or Keychain issue.
Occasionally, when I send an e-mail, I get a pop up box that asks for the password. It offers to have Keychain save it, despite the fact that it's been saved. If I enter the password, it continues to give the pop up box asking for the password, the message can't be sent.
However, instead of entering the password, if I cancel attempt to send the message, then open the e-mail from the Outbox and click Send, it goes out without asking for the password.
This usually occurs the first time I try to send a message after waking the MacBook from sleep.
I've repaired permissions, to no avail.
Anyone know why this occurs and if there is an easy fix?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Memory: 2.5 GB

Posted on May 16, 2009 10:43 AM

3 replies

Jun 11, 2009 6:46 AM in response to larryd517

I'm experiencing similar issues. Running Leopard 10.5.7. Apple Mail forgets smtp password, if that's even possible =)

By the way, what's wrong with the forums? To this 1 person question, before my reply, here are the stats:

This question is not answered. "Helpful" answers available: 2 . "Solved" answers available: 1 .

Jun 26, 2009 12:54 PM in response to TiGPS

this is what i found in another forum.
it solved the same password - problem i had in Leopard, Mail 3.6

-----
I found an article on Apple's KB that said to open Key Chain Access. Then, double click on your individual mail keychains and click on Access Control. Then click "Allow all applications to access this item." I did that for all of my mail keychain items and it seems to have worked.

Keychain forgets Mail password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.