Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyword on Multiple Photos

Sorry if this is duplicated; I searched for a similar topic and found none.

*How can I add keywords to more than one image at a time?*

I often upload a series of my kids, and want to add their names as keywords.

To add the same keyword to each image is insanely tedious. There should be a way to add keywords to a whole batch of selected photos. I have tried all the obvious, intuitive possibilities - none work.

Thanks.

MacBook + iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iBook G4/iMacFP/G4Tower/Bondi/3400/165/SE/Plus

Posted on May 16, 2009 1:18 PM

12 replies

Jul 17, 2009 12:47 AM in response to LaiPod

When Faces arrived I already had more than 17k photos tagged in my Library. Do you think it worth my while to redo all that simply so that I could then see their faces on the Corkboard? Believe it or not, I already know what my wife and children look like 😉

Seriously, I gave this matter some thought. If I was starting from scratch, or if I had a smaller library, I would have probably invested the time in the Faces feature. However, I already had a lot of time and effort put into a tagging scheme that works very well for me, and I opted to stick with it. The only addition Faces offered me was the Corkboard view.

I use Keyword Manager as an excellent addition for tagging in iPhoto.

Of course, the beauty of the features available in iPhoto is that you can use some or all of them as you wish. Every one can devise their own system for filing and finding their photos. There is no one size that fits everybody.

Regards

TD

Jul 18, 2009 1:16 AM in response to Yer_Man

I totally agree with you that everyone has their own way to do thing. However, the face feature does more than just cork boarding. It crops the faces out of the pictures for you. In the face mode, you can view the original pictures or the cropped faces. You can scroll through thousands of pictures and only see close up face shots.

BTW, 17K pictures won't take too long to tag because the face recognition is automatic. Just let it run before you go to bed and when you come back the next morning it should be done. You may need to confirm some faces, just drag a selection rectangle around all the pictures to do a large group confirmation. You can complete the tagging in a matter of seconds. Again the benefit is a collection of zoom in face shots for every face in your album.

I also use the smart album to select "face contains X and keyword does not contains X" to verify that all the photo receive the proper keywords.

Jul 18, 2009 1:30 AM in response to LaiPod

However, the face feature does more than just cork boarding. It crops the faces out of the pictures for you. In the face mode, you can view the original pictures or the cropped faces. You can scroll through thousands of pictures and only see close up face shots.

And there's another thing I've never wanted to do.

BTW, 17K pictures won't take too long to tag because the face recognition is automatic.

The initial scan on my Library took 18 hours. Then I would need to identify the face, confirm (and deny) the matches and then go back on the ones not caught in the scan.

There's no point in pretending that you can run a Faces scan and "complete the tagging in a matter of seconds". Perhaps if you have a small Library, yes. But not in my case.

I am familiar with Faces and - indeed with the Places feature too. The time and effort required to convert my system to use those is simply not worth the effort to me.

Regards

TD

Jul 21, 2009 12:17 AM in response to Yer_Man

The places feature is a totally different ball game. For people whose camera has GPS tagging, the global coordinates are in the photo data. For those who have already keyworded their photos by locations, the place info can be tagged by multi-select and followed by grouped change in the Get Info window. Tagging individual photos is crazy, but tagging large group of photos all at once may be worth doing.

Keyword on Multiple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.