Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

48 khz importing vs. 44.1 khz from cd

somehow along the way, my itunes importing settings changed to custom 48 khz as opposed to 44.1. Anyway, seeing as that i don't think standard cd's go above 44.1 i wonder how much of a disservice i have been doing to my library other than the slight uptick in file size. will the unnecessary upsampling i've been doing actually do anything to degrade the sound? i tested a few re-rips and i can't tell any difference but i wonder if a true audiophile could chime in.....

-oleus

PowerMac G5 dual 2ghz//4gb ram, Mac OS X (10.5.6), appletv/bluetooth keyboard/mightymouse bt/isight/iphone 3g/white macbook 4gb ram

Posted on May 16, 2009 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2009 3:51 AM

There won't be any degrading : what you have done is exactly the same as someone who converts AAC to AIFF or Lossless - nothing is lost but nothing is gained apart from unnecessarily large files. You could re-convert to 44.1 without any loss of quality, but you may wish to let well alone.

The only consideration is if you decide to export those files for playing in another device (or use in other software), where 48 isn't supported.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2009 3:51 AM in response to oleus

There won't be any degrading : what you have done is exactly the same as someone who converts AAC to AIFF or Lossless - nothing is lost but nothing is gained apart from unnecessarily large files. You could re-convert to 44.1 without any loss of quality, but you may wish to let well alone.

The only consideration is if you decide to export those files for playing in another device (or use in other software), where 48 isn't supported.

48 khz importing vs. 44.1 khz from cd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.