Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected restarts on MacBook Pro 10.5.7

Hi all,

I tried searching the forums but could not find anything matching my requests. I've been experiencing something strange on my MacBook Pro recently.

Basically after I use my laptop and return back to it approx 4-5hrs later I notice that it tried to shutdown automatically. However, this shutdown failed as some applications failed to terminate in time and so the laptop stayed powered on. The popup windows were visible for me to view and witness the event.

What I would like to know is where can I look to see what could be causing this.

I tried a fresh power cycle (restart) and still it persists.

Other than a clean reinstall I would like to know what application/OS task could be causing this restart request?

Regards,
Carl

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on May 16, 2009 4:47 PM

18 replies

May 16, 2009 4:58 PM in response to the_lemminguk

Open Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder. Start to quit your normally open applications one at a time. Observe any odd behavior or problems with an application quitting properly. Also use your Console application to observe the console logs for any errors associated the the shut down process on your last effort at shutting down.

Be sure you have disabled or removed any third-party add-ons such as Haxies, contextual menu modules, preference panes, etc. while you troubleshoot the problem as these could cause the problem.

Also try booting into safe mode to see if you still experience the problem.

May 17, 2009 6:54 PM in response to Kappy

Here is the last output from my console

18/05/2009 00:10:11 com.apple.ftpd[7085] launchproxy[7085]: /usr/libexec/ftpd: Connection from: 192.168.1.2 on port: 49502
18/05/2009 00:10:11 com.apple.ftpd[7085] launchproxy[7085]: /usr/libexec/ftpd: Connection from: 192.168.1.2 on port: 49537
18/05/2009 00:26:23 pploader[212] Decompression of '/var/folders/D0/D0TJFqPlG4SR-PF59LZFBE +TI/-Tmp-/pgdl1hLzto' failed: 9.

18/05/2009 00:26:23 pploader[212] Failed to decompress '/var/folders/D0/D0TJFqPlG4SR-PF59LZFBE +TI/-Tmp-/pgdl1hLzto'

18/05/2009 00:34:16 ScreenSaverEngine[7174] Screen saver is running in blackout mode.
18/05/2009 02:14:50 [0x0-0x2be2be].org.m0k.transmission[6881] connect: Operation timed out

May 18, 2009 2:49 AM in response to the_lemminguk

HI,

Try resetting the SMC, instructions here. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

"The System Management Controller is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is on the logic board of the computer. As the name implies, it is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, *sleep and wake*, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping."

Carolyn 🙂

May 21, 2009 6:35 AM in response to the_lemminguk

HI,

Run the Apple Hardware Test. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2684

Try booting from your install disk and run Disk Utility.

Insert Installer disk and Restart, holding down the "C" key until grey Apple appears.
Go to Installer menu (Panther and earlier) or Utilities menu (Tiger and later) and launch Disk Utility.
Select your HDD (manufacturer ID) in the left panel.
Select First Aid in the Main panel.
(Check S.M.A.R.T Status of HDD at the bottom of right panel. It should say: Verified)
Click Repair Disk on the bottom right.
If DU reports disk does not need repairs quit DU and restart.
If DU reports errors Repair again and again until DU reports disk is repaired.

Carolyn 🙂

May 21, 2009 1:40 PM in response to the_lemminguk

Ok... keep posted.

One thing to check when you get a chance. Open System Preferences/Energy Saver and click the Sleep tab, then click Schedule. Make sure you haven't got a time set to Start or wake up.

*"I tried a fresh power cycle (restart) and still it persists."*

Try leaving the MacBookPro turned off for at least 30 minutes then restart.

Carolyn 🙂

May 21, 2009 1:57 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Just finished the disk utility..

1st run showed no disk errors.

However, I ran the permissions check and it showed quite a fair amount of incorrect permissions which I subsequently repaired.

Checked Energy Saver settings and I have no schedules configured.

Will try leaving the MacBook powered off over night and check it out in the morning. I assume you mean startup after 30mins...can't restart something that is not on 😉

Thanks for your responses so far 🙂

May 22, 2009 12:02 AM in response to TildeBee

Please call me Carl, need to change that sometime....

Anyway I'm not sure how shutting down applications and monitoring the activity monitor is going to help. The problem I have is sometime after a restart or power up some applications are trying to shutdown. Would be interested to know what I will learn from this...if an application does not shut down properly, is it likely to repeat this activity until it is shutdown correctly?

Mainly transmission, ichat and safari.

I have in the past had problems shutting down my Mac and have seen apps like Mail and Safari refusing to quit (even after a forced quit).... Leaves my Mac in a hanging state.

Also sometimes my Mac takes a few attempts to come out of sleep mode after shutting the lid and opening it (this needs to be repeated until it works). The Genius in the store saw this happen and said I had to hit the power button to force a shutdown, but I insisted that if you persist it will come back out of sleep. Not this is entirely related but I thought I'd mention it.

So after a shutdown all night I will monitor the system today and see if it wants to shutdown or not. I have all my normal applications running, safari, firefox, itunes, yahoo!, ichat, skype, excel, mail, peer guardian..

Jun 11, 2009 10:58 PM in response to the_lemminguk

My macbook pro was suddenly restarting on its own repeatedly and randomly after about 10-20 minutes of normal use....here's what fixed it for me...

- tried logging in as a different user. result: no luck...same problem.

- performed apple hardware test from install disk...everything checked out fine
- reset PRAM
- reset SMC

- restarted the machine

- trashed library/caches (manually by dragging to trash and emptying)
- repaired disk permissions

Seemed to work fine after doing all of this.

Jun 14, 2009 8:40 AM in response to jebaxter

I tried all your suggestions but still I have the problem that when my MacBook is asleep it wants to logoff or shutdown. It's my browser which stops this as the shutdown procedure waits for a confirmation before continuing. If I click cancel I am back to normal operation (until the next sleep).

Going to call Apple Care and see what they can do..

Unexpected restarts on MacBook Pro 10.5.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.