Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS app like Verizon app with voice turns

Does anyone know if there is an application for iPhone like the one offered by Verizon? it works like the voice assisted GPS on cars. I can't believe that a competing carrier already has been offering this paid service for a while and ATT and iPhone does not? Tks

Posted on May 16, 2009 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2009 4:52 PM

AT&T Navigator works like you ask. But is not compatible with the iPhone. From my understanding, the api allows you to get a snapshot of your location, but doesnt track changes as your moving. So I'd suggest waiting for the iPhone 3.0 software that will come out in 1-5 months. I believe turn by turn directions is one thing it will have that the iPhone 2.x software doesn't have yet.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2009 4:52 PM in response to Sharkdiver

AT&T Navigator works like you ask. But is not compatible with the iPhone. From my understanding, the api allows you to get a snapshot of your location, but doesnt track changes as your moving. So I'd suggest waiting for the iPhone 3.0 software that will come out in 1-5 months. I believe turn by turn directions is one thing it will have that the iPhone 2.x software doesn't have yet.

May 20, 2009 12:15 PM in response to Sharkdiver

Thanks for the info to both of you. I actually spoke to an Apple Tech today after finding out that Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile all offer turn by turn GPS navigation with voice for several of the phones they sell. Apparently, not even with the software update that comes out this summer will the not so mighty iPhone have that functionality. The directions with the maps application that is offered now is good for people who have excellent vision and a co-pilot that can read and follow them, but not for those of us who have bad vision and want to remain safe drivers. I guess it will be another one for a wish list.

Again, thank you for your input.

best,

GPS app like Verizon app with voice turns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.