Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5.7 Battery stops charging

Folks,

I'm posting in this forum as well, since it seems that I have yet to find an answer elsewhere.
The day before installing 10.5.7, my MBP 2.16 was charging just fine and giving me approximately three hours of use on a three month old battery; today, the battery is completely discharged, and the computer will not work at all unless it is plugged in 100% of the time.

My other MBP, which is an early 2009 model, and my MBA, exhibit no such symptoms. The problem is limited to the 2007 MBP.

The fact that this would happen in more than one Mac at the same time is no coincidence, and leads me to believe that this is purely a software issue. If anyone else can confirm or deny this, please let us know, because it looks like there's more than one of us out there.

The reason I can say this has happened to at least one other person is found in this website:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=702114

I am the one posting at the bottom of the site, and someone else posted at the top. Unlike the other person who posted, my MBP has NEVER had a problem until just yesterday, and I would appreciate any help I can get from this forum. Please feel free to email me at macjojo@mac.com, or to answer on this discussion board.

As always, your assistance is appreciated in advance.

Thank you,

J. Rodriguez

MBP; MBA, and many "ancient" Macs, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on May 16, 2009 8:59 PM

9 replies

May 18, 2009 11:21 AM in response to MacJojo

You could always do an Archive and Install. Then just Update to 10.5.6 and stay there until someone has a solution. If your problem does not go away then you should call apple. You could also be experiencing a problem with the battery or your mag-safe charger. It could have just been bad luck that this happened after updating. How many cycles do you have on the battery?

May 20, 2009 9:04 AM in response to MacJojo

My 2007 Macbook appears to have developed a similar problem after the 10.5.7 update. Before the update the battery was holding around 90% original charge, which is normal for a 2 year old battery. After the update, the condition of the battery, as reported by System Profiler or Coconut, fluctuates dramatically between 13 and 100 percent.

Jun 5, 2009 11:08 AM in response to devo21

I feel it's a glitch. My battery has a similar issue. I also had roughly 90% charge going until about the time I upgraded to 10.5.7.

Since I got my Macbook Pro in November 2007, I have only gone through 11 cycles, most of the cycles were this year.

I checked "System Profiler," and this is what I found.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012- *-9e5a
Manufacturer: Sony
Device name: ASMB012
Pack Lot Code: 0001
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0303
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 570
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 570
Health Information:
Cycle count: 11
Condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 140
Voltage (mV): 12575

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 60
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 26
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 20
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 20
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
Charging: No

** The condition states: "Check Battery" **

What should I do this get my battery back into good health?
Since I have not cycled the battery regularly, the battery will be in poor "health" ?

Jun 5, 2009 11:02 AM in response to AmorA3t3rnus

AmorA3t3rnus

User uploaded file To Apple Discussions! User uploaded file

"The condition states: "Check Battery""
You need to contact Apple & advise them of this.

Before contacting Apple make sure you have installed the latest MBP Battery Update. That alone may fix the problem. To check go to:
HD/System/Library/SystemConfiguration & look for a file called batteryupdater.bundle. Select Get Info for the file.
If its version number is 1.2 or 1.3 you should be fine If not, or if you cannot locate a batteryupdater.bundle file (by using Spotlight, searching manually or using a 3rd party search feature) then download an update from Apple's website & install it. If installing has no effect, you probably need a new battery.
Your battery may be replaced for free. Take your computer to an Apple Store. The staff will be able to check to determine if your model MBP qualifies for the free battery program.

MacBook and MacBook Pro Battery Update 1.2

Good luck!

P.S. **WARNING: DUE TO SECURITY REASONS, PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR BATTERY SERIAL NUMBER ON THESE MESSAGE BOARDS.**

I have asked the HOST to remove/edit.

User uploaded file

Jun 6, 2009 2:08 AM in response to MacJojo

Same here. This (my second, the first stopped working after the Leopard update) battery is only 8 months old, 117 cycles and after the update is not working properly anymore.

I've seen a lot of other people dealing with similar problems since the end of May. Tomorrow I am going to find an Apple centre and ask them for their opinion. I’m certainly not going to buy a third battery, not in 2.5 years!

I have a toothbrush which I recharge everyday for the last 8 years and that one can still make the 2.5 minutes, which it should..

Jul 19, 2009 9:47 AM in response to MacJojo

Hi Guys
a french one speaking here,
same Problem to me here
my MBP was bought in november 2007.
and today when i wanted to work, it doesn't start without magsafe on.
Informations sur le modèle :
Nº de série : SMP-xxxxxxxxx
Fabricant : SMP
Nom de l’appareil : : ASMBxxx
Pack Lot Code : 0002
PCB Lot Code : 0000
Version du programme interne : 0102
Révision du matériel : 0500
Révision de pile : 0200
Informations sur la charge :
Charge restante (mAh) : 0
Charge complète : Non
En cours de chargement : Non
Capacité de charge complète (mAh) : 0
Informations sur la santé :
Comptage de cycles : 137
Conditions : Vérifiez la batterie.
Batterie installée : Oui
Intensité de courant (mA) : 0
Tension (mV) : 9184

Réglages d’alimentation du système :

Alimentation secteur :
Minuterie de suspension d’activité du système (minutes) : 0
Minuterie de suspension d’activité du disque (minutes) : 0
Minuterie de suspension d’activité du moniteur (minutes) : 14
Redémarrage automatique en cas de panne de courant : Oui
Réactivation par un changement de tension : Non
Réactivation par l’ouverture du boîtier : Oui
Réactivation par le réseau : Oui
Mise en veille du moniteur par réduction de l’intensité : Oui
Alimentation par batterie :
Minuterie de suspension d’activité du système (minutes) : 10
Minuterie de suspension d’activité du disque (minutes) : 10
Minuterie de suspension d’activité du moniteur (minutes) : 5
Réactivation par un changement de tension : Non
Réactivation par l’ouverture du boîtier : Oui
Mise en veille du moniteur par réduction de l’intensité : Oui
Réduction de la luminosité : Oui

Configuration matérielle :

UPS installé : Non

Informations de l’adaptateur secteur :

Connecté : Oui
En cours de chargement : Non

some people here in france seem to have the same problem but the solution here seems to change the battery simply.

I wonder if there is really a link between the 10.5.7 update and the fact the battery stops charging.

nethertheless, how can i find the right battery to buy (i mean not on the appstore of course)
thank u
kemet

10.5.7 Battery stops charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.