Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Book Projects from iPhoto 2008 when upgrading to 2009

I was working on a Photo Book in iPhoto 2008 but hadn't quite completed it. I just upgraded to iPhoto 2009 today and realized that the saved projects in 2008 didn't seem to migrate into the software upgrade?!

I have been using Time Machine and do have the laptop backed up.

Here are my questions:

Where are the 2008 project files stored?! Is it possible to grab the old project from Time Machine,
or do I have to start again!? (I spent a lot of time on the project and hope to recover it).

Please help!

Thanks,
Todd

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on May 17, 2009 3:02 PM

5 replies

May 17, 2009 3:28 PM in response to Pawman

How did you do the upgrade?

The proper way is to backup your iPhoto library and do the upgrade by installing iLife '09 - after the upgrade the new version of iPhoto will convert the iPhoto library and everything will be the same as before

There is no exporting/importing/ loading of backups/etc - simply upgrade and go

If that is what you did then you should be able to quit iPhoto, drag the iPhoto library from the pictures folder to the desktop and restore the previous iPhoto library from TM and then launch iPhoto '09 - it should see the library and convert it

LN

Jun 3, 2009 7:11 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry and Todd,

Sorry to jump in, but am faced with a similar issue. I upgraded to iPhoto 9 using the process you outlined below and once I opened iPhoto 9, none of my pictures were in it. However, there were several pictures I suspect are samples to show how the program works.

I ended up having to drag and drop my backed up photo library into iPhoto 9, however it did not import any of the books, cards, and albums I created in iPhoto 8. Is there a way to retrieve these items?

Thanks for your help. These discussion groups are always very helpful!

Elizabeth Houston

Message was edited by: ethouston

Jun 3, 2009 7:36 PM in response to ethouston

I ended up having to drag and drop my backed up photo library into iPhoto 9, however it did not import any of the books, cards, and albums I created in iPhoto 8. Is there a way to retrieve these items?

Not this way - you imported your old library into a new one - this creates duplicates and does not capture albums, projects, etc, etc

Quit iPhoto - drag the new iPhoto library to the desktop and drag the backup to the picture folder and launch iPhoto

LN

Lost Book Projects from iPhoto 2008 when upgrading to 2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.