Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Lost Book Projects from iPhoto 2008 when upgrading to 2009

1847 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2009 8:56 AM by LarryHN RSS
Pawman Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
May 17, 2009 3:02 PM
I was working on a Photo Book in iPhoto 2008 but hadn't quite completed it. I just upgraded to iPhoto 2009 today and realized that the saved projects in 2008 didn't seem to migrate into the software upgrade?!

I have been using Time Machine and do have the laptop backed up.

Here are my questions:

Where are the 2008 project files stored?! Is it possible to grab the old project from Time Machine,
or do I have to start again!? (I spent a lot of time on the project and hope to recover it).

Please help!

Thanks,
Todd
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)
  • LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (54,900 points)
    How did you do the upgrade?

The proper way is to backup your iPhoto library and do the upgrade by installing iLife '09 - after the upgrade the new version of iPhoto will convert the iPhoto library and everything will be the same as before

There is no exporting/importing/ loading of backups/etc - simply upgrade and go

If that is what you did then you should be able to quit iPhoto, drag the iPhoto library from the pictures folder to the desktop and restore the previous iPhoto library from TM and then launch iPhoto '09 - it should see the library and convert it

LN
    2.1 GHz iMac G5 with 500 GB internal HD, Mac OS X (10.5.7), iPhoto 8.0.2, 750 GB OWC EHD, Sony DSC-W150 camera, ATP PhotoFinder Mini GPS
  • ethouston Calculating status...
    Hi Larry and Todd,

Sorry to jump in, but am faced with a similar issue. I upgraded to iPhoto 9 using the process you outlined below and once I opened iPhoto 9, none of my pictures were in it. However, there were several pictures I suspect are samples to show how the program works.

I ended up having to drag and drop my backed up photo library into iPhoto 9, however it did not import any of the books, cards, and albums I created in iPhoto 8. Is there a way to retrieve these items?

Thanks for your help. These discussion groups are always very helpful!

Elizabeth Houston

Message was edited by: ethouston
    iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Leopard and iLife '08, and iLife '09 loaded on computer
    I ended up having to drag and drop my backed up photo library into iPhoto 9, however it did not import any of the books, cards, and albums I created in iPhoto 8. Is there a way to retrieve these items?

Not this way - you imported your old library into a new one - this creates duplicates and does not capture albums, projects, etc, etc

Quit iPhoto - drag the new iPhoto library to the desktop and drag the backup to the picture folder and launch iPhoto

LN
    2.1 GHz iMac G5 with 500 GB internal HD, Mac OS X (10.5.7), iPhoto 8.0.2, 750 GB OWC EHD, Sony DSC-W150 camera, ATP PhotoFinder Mini GPS
  • Benjamac Sydney Calculating status...
    Thanks LarryHN, I had the same problem with my projects. I replaced the iPhoto library with my backup copy and voila--got my projects back.
    iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.7)
    Benjamac

Welcome to teh Apple user to user assistance forums

It is good to have a backup

LN

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.