Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two 'identical' HD formats; one syncs, one fails... Help!

Hi all,

I'm looking for some expert help! As we know, the Apple TV will officially only play 720p content at 24fps, but it can do 720p @ 25fps (as proved by the Hubblecast). I have some 720p @ 25fps content that won't sync and has a lower bitrate than the Hubblecast, so I can't figure out why it won't work.

To demonstrate, I've chopped out 10s of each and removed the audio to rule that out; QuickTime reports the only difference between the files is that the Hubblecast is 5703.34kbit/s while the other is 4430.25kbit/s.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/331720/working.mov (6.8MB)
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/331720/notworking.mov (5.3MB)

I would really appreciate it if someone with a bit more knowledge than me could download these and try them out with their Apple TV, or take a more in-depth look at them to identify the difference. I just can't see it!

Many TIA,

Andy.

PowerMac G4 Dual 1.50GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.7), NVIDIA 7800GT

Posted on May 18, 2009 3:44 PM

6 replies

May 18, 2009 11:53 PM in response to andydvsn

How did you capture the off-air recording? I only ask as if the source wasn't HD I wouldn't bother trying to upscale it to 720p. The only HD recorders I know of that'll let you do that and transfer the data are Humax Freesat recorders and some PC cards (Win Nova HD from Hauupage for instance), but there may be others. The clip doesn't quite look HD quality unlike the hubblecast.

May 19, 2009 12:21 AM in response to Alley_Cat

The files do not use identical formats, essentially:

Hubblecast: AVC1 profile High@L3.1 Constant fps

Auntie: AVC1 profile High@L3.2 Variable fps

High profile is 'broadcast standard' enoding profile, AppleTV doesn't officially support it only main profile - 3.2 and 3.1 may well differ apart from Constant/Variable fps, might be worth testing to see if 3.1 always works.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

AppleTv supports:

1 - H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

2 - iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels, 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic), or high-definition 720p

3 - MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

...and some others if lucky.

In detail (download mediainfo: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en )

The clip that plays:

Complete name : working.mov.qt
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 6.83 MiB
Duration : 10s 0ms
Overall bit rate : 5 728 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Video ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info :
Advanced Video Coding Duration : 10s 0ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 5 724 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.248
Stream size : 6.82 MiB (100%)

The clip that doesn't:

Complete name : /notworking.mov.qt
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 5.32 MiB
Overall bit rate : 4 465 Kbps
Video ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.2
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 461 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type :
Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.194
Stream size : 5.32 MiB (100%)

AppleTv supports:

Video formats supported

* H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
* iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels, 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic), or high-definition 720p
* MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

...and some others if lucky.

May 19, 2009 1:01 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Thank you - that's excellent information, just what I was looking for! I'll grab myself a copy of MediaInfo as well; looks like it might be very useful.

I guess I'll now have to look at which is easier; making the Apple TV play the file, or making the file suitable for the Apple TV. I'm guessing that to switch between the 3.2 and the 3.1 profile is going to require a complete re-encoding of the video. On the offchance, you wouldn't happen to know if this is achievable using FFMPEG do you?

In answer to your question regarding the off-air HD content, this is actually the format that comes direct from the new HD feed of the BBC iPlayer. Their next highest output is usually around 832x468, which is perfectly watchable on the Apple TV without conversion, but knowing that it can do 720p and that there's 720p content available just keeps nagging at me.

BTW, just noticed your sig... I've got a couple of RISC OS boxes in the house too. Ahh, the hours I spent on that Risc PC. ;o)

May 19, 2009 1:19 AM in response to andydvsn

larryfi wrote:
On the offchance, you wouldn't happen to know if this is achievable using FFMPEG do you?

Probably, but it's not something I use standalone.

Have you ever tried MPEGStreamclip form squared5.com or Handbrake which is more of a multiformat converter these days that accepts a variety of file types and can output AppleTV compatible 264?

In answer to your question regarding the off-air HD content, this is actually the format that comes direct from the new HD feed of the BBC iPlayer. Their next highest output is usually around 832x468, which is perfectly watchable on the Apple TV without conversion, but knowing that it can do 720p and that there's 720p content available just keeps nagging at me.

How do you capture the feed? Can't say I've looked at the iPlayer app recently.

BTW, just noticed your sig... I've got a couple of RISC OS boxes in the house too. Ahh, the hours I spent on that Risc PC. ;o)

Mine's in the attic to be more accurate along with the BBC Model B. ! Risc PCs were years ahead of anything Windows or Mac at the time in my opinion. Shame Acorn ran into trouble.

May 19, 2009 1:30 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Alley_Cat wrote:
larryfi wrote:
On the offchance, you wouldn't happen to know if this is achievable using FFMPEG do you?

Probably, but it's not something I use standalone.

Have you ever tried MPEGStreamclip form squared5.com or Handbrake which is more of a multiformat converter these days that accepts a variety of file types and can output AppleTV compatible 264?

I used to use Handbrake quite a bit. I think I'll take another look at it; depending on the encoding time it might be a good option. I've also got a Turbo.264 stick, but I'm not sure it handles HD content. I will have to have a play with it at the weekend.

How do you capture the feed? Can't say I've looked at the iPlayer app recently.

There's a tool called get_iplayer from http://linuxcentre.net/ which I use along with a few of my own scripts to download and automatically import content into iTunes. It works brilliantly while I wait for a proper Apple TV implementation of the iPlayer... ;o)

I've put the scripts up on my website, if you're interested: http://dfpx.co.uk/journal/iimport

Mine's in the attic to be more accurate along with the BBC Model B. ! Risc PCs were years ahead of anything Windows or Mac at the time in my opinion. Shame Acorn ran into trouble.

Yes... mine too. I think there's a BBC B with a co-processor in there somewhere too. Never did figure out how to use that!

Cheers,

Andy.

May 19, 2009 1:48 AM in response to andydvsn

larryfi wrote:
There's a tool called get_iplayer from http://linuxcentre.net/ which I use along with a few of my own scripts to download and automatically import content into iTunes. It works brilliantly while I wait for a proper Apple TV implementation of the iPlayer... ;o)

I've put the scripts up on my website, if you're interested: http://dfpx.co.uk/journal/iimport

Sounds good, thanks for the links.

Yes... mine too. I think there's a BBC B with a co-processor in there somewhere too. Never did figure out how to use that!

I keep all sorts of rubbish for nostalgia reasons, but need a ruthless clear out - can't see me getting rid of the Acorn stuff though. There's a virtual Risc PC app available these days, but I've not been able to justify trying it because of the cost.

Two 'identical' HD formats; one syncs, one fails... Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.