Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My DVD/CD disc tray opens at start up

Hi

Just bought a new Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. works & looks great!

However, my CD/DVD tray now opens whenever i startup/restart

OS 10.5.7, PowerMac G5 PPC

ps: it is a windows keyboard, so i didn't/ couldn't use the logitech install CD that came with it. when i plugged in the keyboard, leopard asked me to push a few keys so it could recognize the keyboard. so all's fine, except for the startup tray issue.

PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on May 18, 2009 3:24 PM

6 replies

Jun 5, 2009 8:53 AM in response to raka

If you plug the Apple keyboard back in, does the problem go away? If it does, the new keyboard is sending an errant signal to the Mac at startup.

Holding down the left mouse button at startup is a built in command for the Mac to eject all removable media. It would probably be the same one the Mac thinks is coming from the Logitech keyboard.

Jun 5, 2009 9:54 AM in response to Kurt Lang

If your not inadvertently holding the mouse button down durring startup, then it sounds like your keyboard is sending the 'eject' command to your mac on startup. Its as if the keyboard thinks you are holding down the eject key (Mac keyboards have an eject key by the way). If you push the disk drawer back in, does it re-open?

And as the other person asked, does this happen if you don't have the keyboard plugged in when you start up?

Try starting the computer with the keyboard unattached, then after your mac boots, plug the keyboard in... does the disk try open?

Jun 5, 2009 11:19 AM in response to nerowolfe

thanks for the responses. to answer your questions:

- yes, if i unplug the keyboard (or plug in the apple kb, the problem goes away)

- if i push the drawer back in, it stays in

- if i unplug the logitech kb before startup/re-start, and plug it back in after startup, the drawer does not open

- i tired verbose startup, but the text messages disappeared to quickly to be read - is this info also stored somewhere? or a way to keep the text on the screen longer?

- i looked at the console.app log, but can't make much sense of it. should i post it here?

- i also opened a support ticket w/ logitech

thks!

ps: the keyboard is really nice - and fantastic to use in low-light area!

Jun 5, 2009 11:22 AM in response to raka

raka wrote:
thanks for the responses. to answer your questions:

- yes, if i unplug the keyboard (or plug in the apple kb, the problem goes away)

- if i push the drawer back in, it stays in

- if i unplug the logitech kb before startup/re-start, and plug it back in after startup, the drawer does not open

- i tired verbose startup, but the text messages disappeared to quickly to be read - is this info also stored somewhere? or a way to keep the text on the screen longer?

Yes. After booting, in a terminal, enter

sudo dmesg >desktop/bootup.txt

You will be prompted for a password which will not show up when you type it. Then hit enter.
The file should appear on your desktop. It is more-or-less a copy of the verbose boot.

- i looked at the console.app log, but can't make much sense of it. should i post it here?

Look at the dmesg text first.

My DVD/CD disc tray opens at start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.